System restore of windows 7 beta on a new HD fails to reboot RRS feed

• Question

• I got a DELL laptop with a new HD. Obviously it has no EISA RECOVERY partition. I'm doing a full system restore from boot CD of a 64-bit Windows 7 beta system, and the restore process runs fine. But after pressing Finish to restart, it reboots to a "no bootable media" or something similar that I cannot remember right now. It's clear that something is wrong, either a DELL machine has some weird startup process where it's looking for the RECOVERY partition or the WHS restore cannot restore the proper boot records on the HD or something.

Any ideas anyone?
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 10:04 PM

Answers

• Try booting into repair mode from the win7 install media and then choose startup repair. Please note you may need to repeat this if there's more then issue.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 7:39 AM

All replies

• I got a DELL laptop with a new HD. Obviously it has no EISA RECOVERY partition. I'm doing a full system restore from boot CD of a 64-bit Windows 7 beta system, and the restore process runs fine. But after pressing Finish to restart, it reboots to a "no bootable media" or something similar that I cannot remember right now. It's clear that something is wrong, either a DELL machine has some weird startup process where it's looking for the RECOVERY partition or the WHS restore cannot restore the proper boot records on the HD or something.

Any ideas anyone?

What build of Win7 are you running?
    Sunday, April 26, 2009 10:19 PM
  • Try booting into repair mode from the win7 install media and then choose startup repair. Please note you may need to repeat this if there's more then issue.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 7:39 AM
  • I had a problem over the weekend where one of my computers would not boot and I tried the whs restore and for whatever reason after the restore the computer would not boot and I received a boot error so I did a restore from the previous day and was confused because the computer had been used on that day.  I learned that it is possible to format a drive after booting from the restore cd so since I had never done that and was a little worried I first booted using a different OS boot CD copied my data to an external drive then booted from the server restore CD again formatted the drive and then restored the drive and was able to boot and use the computer. 

I don't know why it would not work simply from a restore but formatting the drive apparently fixed the probem.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 1:26 PM