Unable to Find Server During WHS Restore RRS feed

• Question

• I've seen several posts on this issue and have tried those solutions without success.  I would appreciate any other ideas you may have.

I am attempting to restore Windows 7 to my Netbook.  I have a backup on the server.  After running the Restore disk and verifying my network device is connecting.  I fail to locate the WHS server (an HP EX490).  I have tried again loading my specific Netbook drivers as users have suggested and I have also directly connected my server to my netbook (bypassing my router as also some have suggested).  Still I have been unable to get passed the wizard to search for my server.  I know my server is connected properly to the network and is working because I just got the drivers for my Netbook prior to running the Restore software.

This seems a pretty fundemental flaw in WHS software.  It's pretty worthless if I can't access the backups when I really need them.

Please HELP if you have any other ideas.

inouridr

Monday, August 9, 2010 5:02 AM

Answers

• Tried a Vista 32 bit driver for your netbook nic? Vista drivers will probably do the trick. Load them on a USB stick and when the screen shows the devices, try loading the driver then and see what happens. Put the drivers in the root of the USB stick.

Cruise

• Marked as answer by inouridr Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:28 AM
    Monday, August 9, 2010 3:08 PM

All replies

• Tried a Vista 32 bit driver for your netbook nic? Vista drivers will probably do the trick. Load them on a USB stick and when the screen shows the devices, try loading the driver then and see what happens. Put the drivers in the root of the USB stick.

Cruise

• Marked as answer by inouridr Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:28 AM
    Monday, August 9, 2010 3:08 PM
  • Please check the FAQ How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work in the CD based restore environment.

Eventually also the method described in this thread using Windows 7 disk may help.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 9:15 PM
  • Thanks Cruise!!

That did it.  I would have never thought to use a Vista driver instead of the Windows 7 driver.  Geez, what a pain.  I really appreciate the help!

Thanks again,

inouridr

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:30 AM
  • Great to hear you got the problem solved. Yes, the first time around, finding a Vista driver is a pain in the a$$, but once you know what cures the problem, it's not a big deal and you'll remember that for a long time. I faced the same situation on my first restore of a Win 7 machine. The driver took care of it for me!

Cruise

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:50 PM