Joke - Blue Screen RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone have any advice on getting rid of : Joke - Blue Screen ?

I've already attempted the following 3:  McAfee , Malicious Software Removal, & Window Defender.

Each one says unable to delete. It's a mess !

Thanks in advance any suggestions given.

Friday, June 27, 2008 3:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Lisa and Gary, I consider the issue may relate to virus infection and I suggest we first perform the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Click Start, type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide all Microsoft services" box and click "Disable all" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the Startup tab and take note of the items that are checked and the items that are unchecked, as we will want to return your computer to this configuration when we are finished. Once you have noted the checked items, click Disable all.

4. Please re-enable the item which the command column is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\winssnotify.exe".

5. Click OK to restart the computer.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup.

This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We may still manually run these programs later.

Please check if the issue persists. If the issue persists, let us return to Normal Mode via the following steps:

1. Click "Start" and type "MSCONFIG" (without quotation marks) in "Start Search" and press ENTER.

2. Click on the Startup/Service Tab and return your computer to the configuration we noted in the previous step.  Place a checkmark in the items that were previously checked which will return your computer to its initial configuration.

3. Click "OK". Click Restart when you are prompted to restart your computer.

You can also contact your OneCare support team for assistance with identifying or removing virus or worm infections:

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2

If you need more help with virus-related issues, contact Microsoft Product Support Services.

For information about Security updates, visit the Microsoft Virus Solution and Security Center for resources and tools to keep your PC safe and healthy. If you are having issues with installing the update itself, visit Support for Microsoft Update for resources and tools to keep your PC updated with the latest updates.

For support outside the United States and Canada, visit the Product Support Services Web page (http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=SecurityHome ).

• Edited by Leo Huang Friday, April 6, 2012 8:23 AM PCSafety Center update
    Monday, June 30, 2008 8:21 AM

All replies

• Hi I have the EXACT same problem.  HELP!!!!!!!!!

Gary

Sunday, June 29, 2008 8:41 PM
  • Hi Lisa and Gary, I consider the issue may relate to virus infection and I suggest we first perform the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Click Start, type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide all Microsoft services" box and click "Disable all" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the Startup tab and take note of the items that are checked and the items that are unchecked, as we will want to return your computer to this configuration when we are finished. Once you have noted the checked items, click Disable all.

4. Please re-enable the item which the command column is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\winssnotify.exe".

5. Click OK to restart the computer.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup.

This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We may still manually run these programs later.

Please check if the issue persists. If the issue persists, let us return to Normal Mode via the following steps:

1. Click "Start" and type "MSCONFIG" (without quotation marks) in "Start Search" and press ENTER.

2. Click on the Startup/Service Tab and return your computer to the configuration we noted in the previous step.  Place a checkmark in the items that were previously checked which will return your computer to its initial configuration.

3. Click "OK". Click Restart when you are prompted to restart your computer.

You can also contact your OneCare support team for assistance with identifying or removing virus or worm infections:

http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2

If you need more help with virus-related issues, contact Microsoft Product Support Services.

For information about Security updates, visit the Microsoft Virus Solution and Security Center for resources and tools to keep your PC safe and healthy. If you are having issues with installing the update itself, visit Support for Microsoft Update for resources and tools to keep your PC updated with the latest updates.

For support outside the United States and Canada, visit the Product Support Services Web page (http://support.microsoft.com/?pr=SecurityHome ).

• Edited by Leo Huang Friday, April 6, 2012 8:23 AM PCSafety Center update
    Monday, June 30, 2008 8:21 AM
  • Did this work for you Lisa and Gary?

Friday, July 11, 2008 4:08 PM
  • It appeared to work, until I restarted . Then Blue Screen re-appeared. Possibly I missed a step. Am going to go back and try again.

Thx.....Lisa

Friday, July 11, 2008 10:41 PM
  • this was a tough one to crack but after tickering with it for 10 hours i got rid of it.

the ways others had mentioned here do not work no offense guys.

when your looking at your desktop, go ahead and hit control alt delete in the correct fashion.

your looking for these files under PROCESSES.... you must write them down exactly as it says they will ALL have 0ee0 somewhere in it and the end  <dot> <something> will be different. BEFORE you can search for these files as it says under processes. search for each one seperatle under a different search window but search for them ALL FIRST. when it is done searching for each one then go ahead and end each process. ONLY after you end the process can you delete them one at a time. it will be resistant at first but you will eventually be able to delete them. One minor problem I had I cannot change my wallpaper by right clicking on the desktop....also you will not be able to remove the bluescreen wallpaper from your hard drive or at least I was unable to do so. oh and you will be able to remove that I dont even wanna say what that files name was for in fear of it coming back LMAO   that damed antivirus xp 2008 ***  then yes you can delete it entirely!!!

anyone able to tell me how to restore the ability to change my wallpaper while right clicking on the desktop????

hope it helps everyone!!

oh yah there should be 3 of

Monday, July 14, 2008 11:56 PM
  • go to your desktop and open up control alt delete in its respectable manor.

find under processes any line that has 0ee0   those are zeros not the letter. write eah one down specifically and open a search engine from the start menu for each one. DO NOT AT THIS TIME END THE PROCESSES for these. wait until you find each one by searching on your C drive...when they are done THEN end the 3 processes. after that one by one you will be able to delete the numerous files you find with a little resistance but it will happen. the screensaver i was unable to remove but it doesnt appear to be a problem. yet i am now unable to change my wallpaper by right clicking on the desktop.so if anyone has any help for me on that , that would be great.

it was only the matter of order in which you do things not changing basic operations of your windows. it took me way too many hours to figure it out but so far it works fine. you may also get this http://ad.yieldmanager.com and res;//ieframe.dll that will question everything you don online especially with yahoo  DO NOT CLICK ON THE ABOVE LINK!!!

I found the following files you may want to look for

rhc7Igj

LpHc3Igj

pphc3Igj

blpHc3Igj    the characeter before the letter g is a capital i

hope this helps!

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 12:05 AM
  • Hi Sean.

What if Window One Care Live was never installed on pc ?

Thx - Lisa

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 10:47 PM
  •  

Hi Lisa, please ignore the Windows Live OneCare in the previous reply. We can just disable all programs in startup items.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 3:35 AM
  • Hi Sean,

I got pc hooked back up and went thru the process again. Did not get rid of annoying Joke-Blue Screen. Guess it'll have to stay in storage until some miracle arises. In the meantime I went and purchased a new system. (Privacy invasion fears drove me to do that).

Mostly everything worked fine on infected pc, except for things such as: Wouldn't let me restore thru HP, or recover thru Windows. Not allowing me to turn Auto Updates is another thing that scared me.

Thanks & have a great day !.....Lisa

Sunday, July 20, 2008 2:58 PM
  • Hi Antivirusxp 2008 is difficult to remove I have suceeded by running "SMITFRAUD FIX", update and run in normal mode then reboot into Safe mode and run again, this time using the 'clean' function. I have (as I've said before) had sucess with this but, also if left it gets worse and are unable to run any 'exe' files or windows explorer in normal or safe mode, and a clean install is then the only option. hope this helps. Nick.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:49 PM
  • Lisa,

I was not able to tell if you had been able to fix the blue screen problem.  I have spent days trying to trace it back to a process/file etc.  My husband realized what I was battling with and he decided to play a joke back.  He went to my computer/windows/system32 and located the offending file (which you could not delete or rename).  He made a file called bogus and dropped the file in it.  The problem has stopped.  My blue screen has disappeared.  I assume it is because the exe file is trying to pull it up and it can't call it up.

Good Luck, Jessie
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 11:18 PM
  • Sorry, I should not have posted my answer, as it has nothing to do with the 'joke blue screen' But, the more serious antivirusXP2008 infection and its variants. 

However, the 'Blue screen joke' is just that a joke, made by or at least available from the sys internals guys, who make great apps. It is a joke screen saver and the easiest way to stop it running is to run another instead! 

Nick.
    Friday, July 25, 2008 9:00 AM
  • try superantispyware.com.  It got rid of the joke-bluescreen but I still cant change my background or screensaver.  But again it did get rid of the virus.  If i figure out how to get screensaver and theme options back i will let ya know

Saturday, July 26, 2008 4:57 AM
  • Has anyone come up with an answer for this yet?  I can't get the thing off my computer.

Thanks

Thursday, July 31, 2008 4:15 AM
  • Hi

I tried to follow the steps you listed in an effort to remove this evil joke blue screen and I ran into a problem with step 4 ("C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows OneCare Live\winssnotify.exe".)

I did not see this option on the list, is this applicable to XP?
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 12:31 AM
  • I'm working on my nephews computer as this Blue joke popped up and I can't get it off either.  CD is not recognized by the computer, I've tried installing another CD ROM but it doesn't see that one either!

Whoever invents these things should be drawn & quartered!!!!!

I also couldn't change my back ground as I normally could but I went into pictures albums and right clicked on one of the pics and set it as back ground.  It worked but something still isn't right....

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 9:34 PM
  • Hey Use the attachment offered at the site below to restore the tabs;

http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/38...

I had the same problem but now I have got the tabs backSmile

Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:11 PM
  • I had the same problem  and now I have got my tabs back

Use the attachment offered at the site below to restore the tabs

http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/38...

Thursday, August 7, 2008 4:12 PM
  • I've been working on this thing for days. I've concluded that the only way to beat this thing is a good back-up and a clean Windows install. Just make sure you don't back up the system32 folder. caj
    Sunday, August 10, 2008 6:16 PM
  • Thanks !

Sunday, August 10, 2008 9:29 PM

• Keeping a clean backup is ALWAYS the smart thing to do.  Saves HUGE amounts of trouble.  I wasn't that smart this time and got burned by the same thing as you all.  I ran Spy-Bot Search&Destroy which cleared up the wallpaper issue quite nicely.  It deleted the intrusive wallpaper and allowed me to right click on the screen and make adjustments as normal.  It came back again when I restarted but after I went through and manually deleted all the trash - as everyone here has already discussed - and ran SpyBot one more time, everything was fine.  This dang thing came with a LOT of trash....but I think the below was the culprit in gumming up the wallpaper:

Registry entry:
               HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-..."bunch of numbers here...ending      in..."-1003\Software\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\NoDispBackgroundPageSettings

and

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-..."bunch of numbers here...ending  in..."-1003\Software\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\NoDispScrSaverPage

These values should be set to zero for normal operation.  The virus changes them to another value.  If you don't have a program that will fix these for you, you should be able to fix them yourself by manually editing your registry with RegEdit.
    Of course, you have to make sure that you have deleted the virus that edited your registry in the first place or you'll have to do it again every time you start up.

hope this helps,

Adam

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 8:21 AM
  • I just ( yesterday) had the joke bluescreen hit. I ran all the normal deals ( macafee, spysweeper) to no avial.  finally I found a thing called combofix which seemed to do the trick.  What this *** does is to first destroy the restore points so you can just system restore and then it wipes out the screen savers.  So when combo fix runs it eliminates the damage to the the appearance so you can reestablish your screen saver.  The other thing joke bluescreen did was interupt my print drivers.  The only problem I have now is the the speed of the machine is way down and on boot I have to manually bring up explorer.  Anyone have a solution to those problems?

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:24 PM
  • Was your bluescreen issue resolved? If so how? I have it on my system...possibly added by opening a fed ex message that I should have known was erroneous. I have also noticed that my ability to change screen savers under properties is gone. How do you get rid of the screensaver? I attempted to erase under system32 and can't delete it. I attempted to uncheck it under startup in msconfig and not sure how to get it out of that system startup place.
    Saturday, August 23, 2008 2:52 AM
  • No, the bluescreen problem has not been resolved. I've tried most of the a number of suggestions that were put forth by folks. Along with the screen saver issue, it also wipes out your restore dates and recover. I ended up getting a new pc tower because of the fear of privacy invasion possibility made easier by intruders. The whole situation just (*&^%&).

Saturday, August 23, 2008 8:43 PM
  • ok people, i'm a computer technician at a shop in tulsa,ok.here is what you do.run combofix in safe mode,then in normal mode run malwarebytes,followed by adaware,spybot, and windows defender.
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 3:46 PM