Duplication Settings CRM4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need some assistance.  I am very new to CRM but our CRM Admin left us so I got the job.  There are 2 actuall problems I would like to solve. 

1.  When a user finds a duplicate and the window pops up they merge the records and make sure it is right and then deactivate 1 record.  He then goes to the other record to edit it as he needs to add notes or something and when he tries to save it the duplication pops back up saying there is a dupe.  It is deactiveated already in the list.  Why is the Duplication detecting the deactivated record?  How do I make it so it doesnt do that or better yet..what is the best way to solve this issue? 

2.  I have security pretty tight.  I dont allow anyone that does not own the record to modify it which works. But if someone goes in and decides they want to just add a new record of the same thing and the duplication pops up and they just save to override it we have a problem.. Is there a way to not allow users through security settings to not override the duplication settings?  Say only admin or MGRs can save a duplicate record? 

Thanks for the help
    Dusty
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 9:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Dusty,

1. I have had the same problem. We solved it by adding a workflow that appended (inactive) after fullname and e-mail address (which was the two fields we checked for), and then that situation will longer continue. And it was actually good, so that people did not accidentially send marketing material to inactve contacts.

2. Sorry, not possible to set surch rights using the standard security.

Morten

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 10:26 PM
  • You can mitigate slightly problem #2 by running a deduplication job on a schedule. You can create a duplicate detection job, then when you are about to run it you can set a recurrence schedule, and you can setup a notification so that you are notified when the job has run.

Then you will know if there are duplicates. Unless you have already duplicates in your database, any new duplicate will be the result of someone overriding that warning, so by looking at the job result you will be able to tell and take action.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 3:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Dusty,

1. I have had the same problem. We solved it by adding a workflow that appended (inactive) after fullname and e-mail address (which was the two fields we checked for), and then that situation will longer continue. And it was actually good, so that people did not accidentially send marketing material to inactve contacts.

2. Sorry, not possible to set surch rights using the standard security.

Morten

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 10:26 PM
  • Thanks Morten.  I know what workflows are but how to write them is a different story.  I guess I have a long road ahead of me to figure this out but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  Its much appriciated.

Wednesday, April 1, 2009 12:31 PM
  • You can mitigate slightly problem #2 by running a deduplication job on a schedule. You can create a duplicate detection job, then when you are about to run it you can set a recurrence schedule, and you can setup a notification so that you are notified when the job has run.

Then you will know if there are duplicates. Unless you have already duplicates in your database, any new duplicate will be the result of someone overriding that warning, so by looking at the job result you will be able to tell and take action.
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 3:33 AM