Live Mesh and WHS?????? RRS feed

• Question

• Will Live Mesh work with WHS? and if so, how can i install?

Sunday, June 15, 2008 12:24 AM

Answers

• I guess it depends on what you're trying to do.  Live Mesh just keeps  folder(s) and files on your PC synchronized to other PC's and your Live Mesh Desktop via an agent.  You can also remote control any of your PC's via that same Live Mesh Agent. 

Are you asking if you can run the client on the WHS server?  I don't think you can without some tinkering since it's a system tray application - not a Windows Service.
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 12:42 AM
  • Live Mesh can't be installed on Windows Home Server, or any Windows Server 2003-based computer. It's tied to a specific user's Live ID, so it's only able to function if a user is logged in to the machine.

If you want a version of Live Mesh that can work on Windows Server 2003, you should petition the Live Mesh team for it.
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 1:34 PM

All replies

• I guess it depends on what you're trying to do.  Live Mesh just keeps  folder(s) and files on your PC synchronized to other PC's and your Live Mesh Desktop via an agent.  You can also remote control any of your PC's via that same Live Mesh Agent. 

Are you asking if you can run the client on the WHS server?  I don't think you can without some tinkering since it's a system tray application - not a Windows Service.
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 12:42 AM
  • Live Mesh can't be installed on Windows Home Server, or any Windows Server 2003-based computer. It's tied to a specific user's Live ID, so it's only able to function if a user is logged in to the machine.

If you want a version of Live Mesh that can work on Windows Server 2003, you should petition the Live Mesh team for it.
    Sunday, June 15, 2008 1:34 PM
  • ok... Let me ask this question... What if you synch to a shared folder running in a desktop computer attached to WHS and Live Mesh. It seems like it would up date the server files to match the conduit computer????

Sunday, June 15, 2008 10:21 PM
  • I tried to change the location on one of my mesh folders to \\server\public\meshfolder but Live Mesh complained

saying "Live Mesh folder cannot be synchronized or created on a network path".

Then I thought I'd trick it and map a network drive, but it complained with the same error message when I tried using drive Z.

Newman!

Friday, June 20, 2008 5:06 PM