Best practice to replace "User directories" functionality? RRS feed

• Question

• So, for whatever reason, the team decided that "nobody was using user directories" and that they should be removed. Horrible idea, but be that as it may....

How do I work around this?

Permissions can only be set on individual directories, and NOT on subdirectories. Thus, creating a "users" directory is useless.

Ideally, I'd be able to subdivide my "documents" directory, and have a folder for each user to store their personal documents. Same for music.

Any way to do this? Currently, only way I can think of is to create a "folder share" for EACH user, and completely ignore the documents and music default folders. The only catch is no granular control over media sharing (ie, it shares EVERYTHING in the user folder through DLNA, not just their music).

What use case was the PM team envisioning for families who want to keep their documents and music separate?

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 8:39 PM

All replies

• Since the shares are implemented differently, there is a limit on the number of shares you can create. In addition to the standard 5, you can create 12 user shares. Add a default share, and that goes down to 11.

Personally, I'd like the Users share functionality back exactly as it was, and have made a product suggestion to that effect on Connect.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 10:56 PM
  • I agree with you, this is not a good idea. I'm having problems providing different access to my kids for the multiple media files and docs.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 3:01 PM