MSCTS EXAM 70-432 RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings!

This is my first post here so please bare with me if i accidentally did something wrong.

First a little background:

I have somewhat extensive knowledge about MS-developed and POSIX-based operating systems,  as well as hardware faults troubleshooting skills, but I havent got any certificates whatsoever so far, everything i know i've learned from books, friends, BBS and the internet.

All my friends refer to me as a "computer guru", although i realize that i am not more than and novice user, but for them i can fix "anything", so i'm very competent.

Sorry to be so off topic.

My experience with personal computers is quite broad, and the computer has been one of my best friends ever since the Commodore64 "era". I went on from DOS to Windows 7, and I always loved tweaking around, but i haven't got much experience in working with servers.

During the past decade I have been maintaining all kinds of computers mainly with MS based operating systems, only a few simple serves used mainly for video surveillance and I have written over 500 reviews on various software and hardware products and services, as i work as editor in chief for a large IT newspaper in my country.

Recently I recieved a job offer that requires "Native SQL" knowledge abilities, and i deiced to buy a book

As far as I understand there are quite a few "literations" of SQL = PostgreSQL, MySQL are free alternatives and MSSQL is powered by Microsoft's engeneers, but is it not free and requires licensing.

So bought a self paced training kit called "MSCT EXAM 70-432 Microsoft SQL Server 2008 implementation and Maintainable". Do you think its any good? ALso i have 15 % discount code inside and a CD witha n e book and training questions.

So my questions are :how long im I supposed to give myself for going through this training? Is this a good first timer book? Also in order to get this certicifate i would have to read a couple more books I guess - 70-43*?

Would you reccomend any other self-paced training books based on what i've written?

Sorry to bother you with such 'n00b' questions but i feel like it's time to move on and i am eager to aquire new knowledge, that will be useful for me in building a better career.

Sunday, March 28, 2010 10:38 AM

Answers

• Training or taking the exam is up to your current skill level and how fast you can grab things. The point is try to do much practical excercises than cramping out the books.

Best of luck for your exams

:)

• Marked as answer by Betatestera Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:49 AM
    Monday, March 29, 2010 4:21 PM

All replies

• Training or taking the exam is up to your current skill level and how fast you can grab things. The point is try to do much practical excercises than cramping out the books.

Best of luck for your exams

:)

• Marked as answer by Betatestera Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:49 AM
    Monday, March 29, 2010 4:21 PM
  • greetings and thanks for the reply.

I was hoping that someone who has passed this already could share their expirience - for instance how long did it take them to go though this training?

Of course I realise it is highly individual, but I was just curios, just as a "margin".

In the near future when/if i pass i will keep you updated - hope i will be prepared for the exam by June, if i spent a only couple of hours daily, besides my normal day job.

I have set my eyes on a couple more books, but i shall try how it goes with this one first.

About the practical exercies - i do not have acess to real life server envoirments, but perhaps i could use a virtual machine and "emulate" the server os situatins.

Also on the CD there are tests and and e-book - are those tests a good margin?

Also on the end of each lesson/chapter there are "PRACTICE" sections - are you referring to those as well?

Thanks for your time.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 7:47 AM