WHS Server Reinstallation - what gets wiped RRS feed

• Question

• Due to some corrupted system files on my C: drive, WHS now fails during the boot process, so I suspect  I need to do a Server Reinstallation. From taking a look through the forums it sounds like my shares folder on D: will not be touched though.

What I wanted to know is if the entire structure of the D: drive is unchanged, or just the Shares folder, as I have a couple of folders in the root of the D: drive not under Shares folder that I would like to keep. Also, I'm aware that user accounts will be wiped, but will any existing \shares\users\xxxx  folders be maintained? What happens if i try to create a user account during the reinstallation that already has an existing folder in shares\users of that name.
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 6:10 PM

Answers

• Due to some corrupted system files on my C: drive, WHS now fails during the boot process, so I suspect  I need to do a Server Reinstallation. From taking a look through the forums it sounds like my shares folder on D: will not be touched though.

Correct.

What I wanted to know is if the entire structure of the D: drive is unchanged, or just the Shares folder, as I have a couple of folders in the root of the D: drive not under Shares folder that I would like to keep.

I've never actually tried that (since it's unsupported), but I don't see how it would get rid of some files on D and not others, so I would assume it would leave everything in place on D.  If nothing else, backup the folders and files that you created manually on the D drive before doing a Server Reinstallation (just in case).

Also, I'm aware that user accounts will be wiped, but will any existing \shares\users\xxxx  folders be maintained?

Yes.

What happens if i try to create a user account during the reinstallation that already has an existing folder in shares\users of that name.
    It should automatically "re-map" the newly-created user to the already-existing folder.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, January 16, 2010 7:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by ian- Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:01 PM
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 7:06 PM
  • Everytime I've done "server reinstallation" - nothing on D: was touched
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by ian- Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:53 PM
    Monday, January 18, 2010 10:55 PM

All replies

Correct.

What I wanted to know is if the entire structure of the D: drive is unchanged, or just the Shares folder, as I have a couple of folders in the root of the D: drive not under Shares folder that I would like to keep.

I've never actually tried that (since it's unsupported), but I don't see how it would get rid of some files on D and not others, so I would assume it would leave everything in place on D.  If nothing else, backup the folders and files that you created manually on the D drive before doing a Server Reinstallation (just in case).

Also, I'm aware that user accounts will be wiped, but will any existing \shares\users\xxxx  folders be maintained?

Yes.

What happens if i try to create a user account during the reinstallation that already has an existing folder in shares\users of that name.
    It should automatically "re-map" the newly-created user to the already-existing folder.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, January 16, 2010 7:08 PM
    • Marked as answer by ian- Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:01 PM
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 7:06 PM
  • Everytime I've done "server reinstallation" - nothing on D: was touched
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by ian- Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:53 PM
    Monday, January 18, 2010 10:55 PM
  • Thanks everyone, as above everything on D: remained untouched after the Server Reinstall.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 9:53 PM