none
MCPD Advice RRS feed

• Question

• Firstly apologies if this has been asked on here already, I couldn't find it in a search!

It's about time I got some Microsoft certifications, and as a C# developer I'd like to become an MCPD on Microsoft Visual Studio 2010. I will probably go down the web developer route and take the following exams:

MCTS prerequisite: TS: Web Applications Development with Microsoft .NET Framework 4
    Exam 70-5152

MCTS prerequisite: TS: Windows Communication Foundation Development with Microsoft .NET Framework 4
    Exam 70-513

MCTS prerequisite: TS: Accessing Data with Microsoft .NET Framework 4
    Exam 70-516

MCPD requirement: PRO: Designing and Developing Web Applications Using Microsoft .NET Framework 4
    Exam 70-5192

The notes on http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcpd.aspx#vs2010 (MCDP Certifications tab, Web Developer 4)

indicate that the certifications for TS: Web Applications Development with Microsoft .NET Framework 4 - Exam 70-5152 and PRO: Designing and Developing Web Applications Using Microsoft .NET Framework 4 - Exam 70-5192 will no longer be available to earn as of July 31, 2013.

EDIT: the entire MCPD on Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 (Web Developer 4 on Visual Studio 2010)  will no longer be available to earn as of July 31, 2013.

As these certifications are being retired, is there any point in sitting them for the MCDP, or should I be aiming for another certification? I have no other certifications and need to start somewhere but don't know where. I noticed the certification for the MCSD (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcsd.aspx), is this a 'replacement' for the MCDP?I don't think the MCSD is suitable for me at the moment.

many thanks in advance

• Edited by Bluebird1984 Friday, July 13, 2012 9:37 AM Noticed the MCPD on Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 (Web Developer 4 on Visual Studio 2010) as a whole is being retired.
    Friday, July 13, 2012 9:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I would recommend that you go for the four exams you mentioned. After passing them you only have to upgrade your MCPD to the new certifications. Currently there are only MCSD exams for Windows 8 available, but I think there will be also upgrade exams for web developers on .NET 4.5 in the near future.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Friday, July 13, 2012 12:10 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi,

I would recommend that you go for the four exams you mentioned. After passing them you only have to upgrade your MCPD to the new certifications. Currently there are only MCSD exams for Windows 8 available, but I think there will be also upgrade exams for web developers on .NET 4.5 in the near future.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

Friday, July 13, 2012 12:10 PM
    Answerer
  • thank you, sounds like a sensible suggestion.
    Sunday, July 15, 2012 9:22 PM