Client Restore failure - Backup from WHS not working - appreciate any help! RRS feed

• Question

• Goal: Swap out original 750G on clientpc for new 250G HD and use BU to setup new drive.

original 750G drive has 80G used, balance free so it should fit on new 250G HD

Process I used - (note BU's have been successful on a daily basis)

started WHS recovery disc (using orig MS disc that came with WHS pkg)
    Log onto server OK
    picked complete most recent BU to restore - OK
    got msg no Initialized disk, click on Disk Mgr - OK
    Clicked New Simple Vol.
    selected full drive capacity of new HD
    assigned drive letter C
    did a quick format
    drive in disk mgr now shows as active/primary
    now the problem......restore doesn't let me go any further
    I get a red X between the    orig 698.64G  and the new  232.88G HD
    Like I mentioned earlier the orig HD has only 80G used so u would think
    it would fit on the new HD.

Using Win7 Enterprise and WHS Ver1.

can u do a bu to a small new drive? otherwise any suggestions on what may be wrong would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 12:30 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server uses a cluster-based backup algorithm, and restores to the same cluster on the disk when you do a restore, so if the very last cluster on the disk is used, you will need a disk of the same size or larger to restore. Because of the way Windows/NTFS uses space on a partition, the smallest you would ever be able to go from a 750 GB disk with a single partition that fills the drive is around 385 GB. In most cases, if the disk has been in use for a while, you won't be able to restore to a disk that's even slightly smaller, again because of the way NTFS uses storage and the way Windows Home Server backs it up.

"Outside the box" solution: Use partition management/editing software (I use Acronis Disk Director) to shrink the current 750 GB partition to only slightly larger than the data it contains. If you've got 80 GB of data, a 100 GB partition will be a good choice. Back up the smaller partition. Restore to the smaller drive.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 2:15 PM
  • Thank You for ur advice......it makes good sense. I tried using Win7 Disk Management to shrink the volume but Win7 won't let me shrink it smaller than 371G. I guess this can happen if there are any unmovable files. I keep checking the C: drive and properties show about 85G used and the balance unused so this 371G min has me a little confused.

Do u have any thoughts on what might be causing this?

Next step is I'll try one of the commercial disk management software's like Acronis or Partition Magic and see what they will let me do.

My concern is that Win7 knows something that the other software won't and that's why they show the 371G min.

Worst case is I assume my WHS backup will restore things back to normal.

I would appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Thanks Again

Steve
    Thursday, November 25, 2010 2:04 PM
  • Just to complete this post.....I finally got it working.....Win7 Disk Manager wouldn't let me shrink the orig  750G volume to  less than 371G

until I went and deleted all of the restore points......looks like the restore points are somehow placed on the HD in a fashion that makes them

unmovable. Once deleted, Disk Manager then let me shrink the volume and I shrunk it to 150G......I then did a backup of the new 150G volume

then did the restore and everything worked just fine. Now everything is on a 250G drive and the orig 750G drive is headed

to the server for more storage. This scheme would work well for anyone trying to transition from a larger HD to one of the smaller SSD drive.

Thanks Ken and thanks to other folks on other forums who's ideas got me to a final solution.

Thursday, November 25, 2010 7:11 PM
  • One reason I use partition management software rather than the features in Windows is exactly what you encountered. Acronis can shrink just about any partition, and doesn't worry about the unmovable files.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 26, 2010 3:11 AM