File Conflicts: "The System Cannot Find the File Specified" RRS feed

• Question

• I installed a WD EARS drive a few months ago, making sure to set the jumper correctly before installing.  Since that time, I've been experiencing an increased number of file conflicts, which I'd never really had a problem with before.  I finally got around to buying a replacement drive and installing it yesterday morning.  After adding the drive, I started the removal process for the WD drive.  It took about 8 hours and finally just errored out at the end, citing file conflicts as the problem.  Using the WHS Console, I wrote down the offending files and deleted them manually.  After that, the WD drive was able to be removed successfully.

After putting the server back together and rebooting, I now have file conflict errors about the files I deleted, citing "the system cannot find the file specified".  Obviously not, since I've deleted them.  Will these go away eventually, or do I need to do something to fix these errors? 

Searching the forums yields some posts about this, but the ones I found were fairly dated and seemed to be focused on files that were there but inaccessible, which isn't my problem.  

Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:06 PM

Answers

• Ok, final update and it's a good one! :D

I ran the WHSCleanup tool against one of the directories that contained a file I was having problems with.  It scanned everything and created the whscleanup.cmd file, but running it resulted in an error message.  I only tried one yesterday and gave up, letting Conflict Resolver keep doing it's (extremely slow) thing.  When I got home this afternoon, I noticed that the one file I had tested was missing from the list of file conflicts in WHS. Progress!  

So I ran WHSCleanup against the other directories, then forced a rebalance using Conflict Resolver.  No more file conflicts! I finally got my delightful green icon back.  :D

• Marked as answer by ECEC Monday, December 20, 2010 9:43 PM
    Monday, December 20, 2010 9:43 PM

All replies

• I ran Conflict Resolver with the "Delete Missing files" option and it seemed to detect the files and delete the tombstones.  I only ran it on my small share, it's running now on Videos.  At this rate, it will still be running sometime next month.  Hopefully it will resolve my file conflicts, though.  I'm ready to have my green WHS icon back!
    Saturday, December 18, 2010 9:22 PM
  • Ok, final update and it's a good one! :D

I ran the WHSCleanup tool against one of the directories that contained a file I was having problems with.  It scanned everything and created the whscleanup.cmd file, but running it resulted in an error message.  I only tried one yesterday and gave up, letting Conflict Resolver keep doing it's (extremely slow) thing.  When I got home this afternoon, I noticed that the one file I had tested was missing from the list of file conflicts in WHS. Progress!  

So I ran WHSCleanup against the other directories, then forced a rebalance using Conflict Resolver.  No more file conflicts! I finally got my delightful green icon back.  :D

• Marked as answer by ECEC Monday, December 20, 2010 9:43 PM
    Monday, December 20, 2010 9:43 PM