locked
Workflow to send email causing error from dynamic value RRS feed

  • Question

  • I am using CRM 2013 (Online) and am writing a workflow that if certain criteria are met on a custom entity will send an email to the user that created the record.

    In the email, multiple values are pulled into the email from the record.  I am able to add the field values into the email body but when I hit Save & Close - I get an error.

    I was able to download the error details which are posted below:

    Unhandled Exception: System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[[Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk.OrganizationServiceFault, Microsoft.Xrm.Sdk, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35]]: System.Xml.XmlException: Microsoft Dynamics CRM has experienced an error. Reference number for administrators or support: #27858630Detail: 
    <OrganizationServiceFault xmlns:i="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/xrm/2011/Contracts">
      <ErrorCode>-2147220970</ErrorCode>
      <ErrorDetails xmlns:d2p1="http://schemas.datacontract.org/2004/07/System.Collections.Generic" />
      <Message>System.Xml.XmlException: Microsoft Dynamics CRM has experienced an error. Reference number for administrators or support: #27858630</Message>
      <Timestamp>2014-04-16T15:06:30.6429492Z</Timestamp>
      <InnerFault i:nil="true" />
      <TraceText i:nil="true" />
    </OrganizationServiceFault>

    Does anyone have any suggestions?  I really appreciate it!

    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:24 PM

Answers

  • I had the exact same problem and was really worried about it, until I found the solution here: https://community.dynamics.com/crm/f/117/t/125193.aspx

    Turns out the problem is that the Email dialog doesn't support Google Chrome.  As soon as I switched to IE, it worked! Firefox also seems to work too.  I checked out the rendered HTML from each browser in a diff tool but couldn't find any meaningful differences...

    Thursday, May 1, 2014 11:49 PM

All replies

  • I had the exact same problem and was really worried about it, until I found the solution here: https://community.dynamics.com/crm/f/117/t/125193.aspx

    Turns out the problem is that the Email dialog doesn't support Google Chrome.  As soon as I switched to IE, it worked! Firefox also seems to work too.  I checked out the rendered HTML from each browser in a diff tool but couldn't find any meaningful differences...

    Thursday, May 1, 2014 11:49 PM
  • Excellent, thank you for the tip!
    Monday, May 5, 2014 9:47 PM