Please Help - Shared Folders and Server Backups Problems RRS feed

• Question

• Since June my WHS2011 is running smoothly, until a few weeks ago. At that time I changed a shared folder and got all kind of strange problems since.

1. Cannot edit Shared Folder Properties

Dashboard - Server Folders
      Folder Properties - Sharing Tab
      Cannot retrieve user access level permissions for the folder - An unexpected error has occurred 8004008A
    2. Backups are stalled

Computers and Backups
      Server backup - Customize Backup for Server
      Server Backup - Loading data. This can take a few minitues... (Hangs for days)
      And no more backups for several weeks
    3. Volume Shadow Copy

Command Prompt - Vssadmin list writers
      Waiting for responses
      These may be delayed if a shadow copy is being prepared. (Hangs for days)

All ideas are very welcome, because I haven't got a clue anymore.

Thanks in advance!

Arjan

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 8:36 PM

Answers

• Reinstalling is, more or less, a thing of the past. Server backup includes a "bare metal" restore capability. Read up on it in the online help, starting here. Because Windows Home Server 2011 is based on Windows Server 2008 R2, there's even a good chance that your server will boot up on completely new hardware after a restore, without needing to inject any drivers or repair anything.

It's likely that all the other issues were a result of the failed backup drive. How, I couldn't tell you. :) So probably the sequence of events was:

1. Backup drive fails.
    2. You create a new share.
    3. Bad Things™ happen during the process, and your server is left in an unstable state (something's half complete).
    4. You remove the share, undoing whatever left the server unstable in the process.
    5. The problem is found and a solution is identified.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by A van Beijnum Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:52 PM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 7:51 PM

All replies

• ... At that time I changed a shared folder and got all kind of strange problems since. ...
    What kind of change? How did you make the change? Given that your problems started just after you changed something, I would suspect whatever it is you changed is causing the issue.
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 8:43 PM
  • What kind of change? How did you make the change? Given that your problems started just after you changed something, I would suspect whatever it is you changed is causing the issue.
    Agreed, but the change was just adding a new Shared Folder using the WHS2011 Dashboard. Which imho should be a regular task.
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 8:47 PM
  • What happens if you restart your server (probably nothing useful)? What happens if you remove the share? What happens if you add it again? Have you checked all your disks for errors?

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 10:24 PM
  • What happens if you restart your server (probably nothing useful)? What happens if you remove the share? What happens if you add it again? Have you checked all your disks for errors?

Server is rebooted a lot since then, including for updates. All disks are also checked for errors.

I hesitate a bit to remove the share. When I recall correct when making the share the creating of the share took forever and was only stopped by shutting down the dashboard. I assume something went wrong in that process. I will give it a try later on, but I need some time to do that.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 6:09 AM

Server is rebooted a lot since then, including for updates. All disks are also checked for errors.

I hesitate a bit to remove the share. When I recall correct when making the share the creating of the share took forever and was only stopped by shutting down the dashboard. I assume something went wrong in that process. I will give it a try later on, but I need some time to do that.

I indeed removed the share, because I didn't like the idea of reinstalling to server. After that I fully deleted the directory and rebooted the server. I created a new directory and new share and recoverd original content. 

After that it was possible again to configure everything without endless delays. Because it was now possible to run the server backup wizzard again I found out that the external hard drive was offline. I checked the drive that was less than 5 months old and found out it died already. So in the end it looked like unrelated problems. I need to check if the backups run again with a new external hard disk, but now I can configure everything again I have good faith.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 7:33 PM
  • Reinstalling is, more or less, a thing of the past. Server backup includes a "bare metal" restore capability. Read up on it in the online help, starting here. Because Windows Home Server 2011 is based on Windows Server 2008 R2, there's even a good chance that your server will boot up on completely new hardware after a restore, without needing to inject any drivers or repair anything.

It's likely that all the other issues were a result of the failed backup drive. How, I couldn't tell you. :) So probably the sequence of events was:

1. Backup drive fails.
    2. You create a new share.
    3. Bad Things™ happen during the process, and your server is left in an unstable state (something's half complete).
    4. You remove the share, undoing whatever left the server unstable in the process.
    5. The problem is found and a solution is identified.

• Marked as answer by A van Beijnum Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:52 PM
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 7:51 PM
  • With a new external drive all seems to work smoothly again, including backups.

I think it's a bit strange that there is no error message at all in the server status that the server backups fails...

I'm pretty happy to found out that the Shared Folders on the Remote Web Access are available again!

Thanks for the help.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:56 PM