none
DevOps Linux or Powershell or something else? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to get into DevOps. 

Is linux necessary for DevOps or can I do it with powershell etc. ?

I need to know this from some expert since I have to invest time in this and I have no clue .

Thanks.

usher A

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 11:08 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi usher227

Are you referring to Azure DevOps or DevOps in general? DevOps is more of a practice for building, testing, releasing software features faster and in continues manner, and pertains a lot of technologies. Specifics will depend on your unique requirements. Since you've opened this thread in Azure Service Bus forums, is there a particular scenario you'd like discuss and have questions about?

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 4:38 AM
  • What I understand from DevOps is I am automating the development and testing . Using pipelines etc . 

All I want to know is if need to learn linux at all or not .  Can I do away with linux when I am using Azure DevOps methodology . 

What about the tools like Jenikins and linux containers . If the companies are not using App Service fabric .

My main problem is  do I have to learn linux to carry out Azure devOps for non .Net components and containers.

Thanks

usher A

Wednesday, December 12, 2018 4:47 AM
  • Hey usher227 - Since your question doesn't concern any specific scenarios with Azure Service Bus, we have proceeded to move this thread out of this forum. To answer your question around Linux being necessity tool, DevOps is a pretty generic term & practice for building, testing, releasing softwares features in continues, on-going manner so using Linux or not is really up to you and requirements of your project.
    Friday, December 14, 2018 8:26 PM
  • I'd try asking in azure devops forum over here.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/azure-devops

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, December 14, 2018 8:53 PM