Have MS Money 2004 Standard US in use. Can not convert file to 2004 deluxe or later versions RRS feed

• Question

• Have MS Money 2004 Standard US in use. Can not convert file to 2004 deluxe or later versions.

What possibilites do i have to get my files/data converted to use MS MONEY sunset? Have tried all later versions from MS MOney but open up my file, it always says that the file i using is form another version and can not be converted.

Please help

Thanks

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 12:38 PM

All replies

• Have MS Money 2004 Standard US in use. Can not convert file to 2004 deluxe or later versions.

What possibilites do i have to get my files/data converted to use MS MONEY sunset? Have tried all later versions from MS MOney but open up my file, it always says that the file i using is form another version and can not be converted.

What causes you to think you have a US verson of Money installed? In Help->About, is there  there is a "License Terms" (US/Canada) or a "Licence terms" button?
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 1:41 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem with the UK version of Money 2004 I bought on CD. I cannot get my file to work with any of the later versions of Money including Sunset. The error is that the file was produced in a different version of Money (or words to that effect). I know that but was expecting the newer software versions to convert it! The file doesnt need repairing as it works perfectly when I reinstall Money 2004. Are we resigned to using Money 2004 forever? I still cannot understand why Microsft dropped Money as there is no other program on the market that is as all encompasiing as Money with regards to managing your finances - I have used it since 1997!
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:14 PM
  • I have exactly the same problem with the UK version of Money 2004 I bought on CD. I cannot get my file to work with any of the later versions of Money including Sunset. The error is that the file was produced in a different version of Money (or words to that effect). I know that but was expecting the newer software versions to convert it! The file doesnt need repairing as it works perfectly when I reinstall Money 2004. Are we resigned to using Money 2004 forever? I still cannot understand why Microsft dropped Money as there is no other program on the market that is as all encompasiing as Money with regards to managing your finances - I have used it since 1997!

The only later UK version is Money 2005. This is not recommended even if you could find a copy.

Sunset is designed for the US and regional versions of Money use different data file formats which will not convert when attempts to open in other regional versions are made.

You can export your data in loose qif and import it to Sunset if you want. I have done this with my UK Money 2004 but can see no practical difference. Long term, Sunset may work with later versions of Windows than Money 2004 but this seems to me to be the only reason to make the change.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:25 PM
  • Thanks for your advice - I will continue to use Money 2004
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:28 PM