SyncToy Version 2.0 Issue... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I recently set up a Folder Pair:

Left Folder = Network Share containing various Files (Adobe Illustrator Actions)

Right Folder = Unc path to a users actions folder (\\USERNAME\c$\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator CS3\Presets\Actions)

Assuming the users workstation does not have these files (actions), when I initially run SyncToy using the Echo option, it copies over without any issues.  The problem is occuring if I delete the actions from the users directory and try to run SyncToy again.  If I run the Folder Pair after deleting the files in the users directory, it doesnt update with the files from the network share.  SyncToy will just say "Found X Files that did not require action.", and i'll be left with nothing in the users directory.

I appreciate any help on this.

Friday, November 14, 2008 9:11 PM

Answers

• Hi M Davis

From what I am understanding you are doing an ECHO from your network share to the username share.  Echos are uniderectional sync's from Left to Right, only changes in the left folder get propagated to the right folder.  If you modify an item in the right folder, it will not be updated with the left folder, and it will cause conflicts. 

I invite you to read the SyncToy FAQ page which explains the relationship between ECHO and deletes: http://forums.microsoft.com/sync/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3753122&SiteID=75

If you want your left and right folders to be in full sync, you should modify your Folder Pair Sync Action to Synchronize instead of ECHO.  Synchronize does a two-way sync and will propagate updates and deletes from both locations.  Which seems to me is what you are looking for.

Maria del Mar Alvarez Rohena - MSFT

Monday, November 17, 2008 6:52 PM