WHS and Windows 7 upgrade from XP Media Center 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• Like thousands (millions?) of others, I did the 120 day test of WHS last year and also Windows 7 (still have a W7 test 'mule' on the network to test my financial programs). After the time expired, bought the full WHS package and did a 'server reinstall' on the box (3GhZ P4 HT, 2G RAM, 160G system and 1T data drive). Computers on the home network are:

The aforementioned W7 Ultimate 'mule' (32bit) (last 32-bit RC)
    XP Home 32-bit Core 2 Duo E7400, 4G, 320G etc. (I built this late last summer in anticipation of W7)
    W7 Home Premium 64-bit HP quad core (purchased last year during time when W7 upgrade was available) Upgraded in place from 64-bit Vista Home Premium
    XP Media Center 2005 32-bit 3.0 GhZ P4 HT 4G, 200G (HP Pavilion - the me'm sahib's; ok, the wife's)

All are running well and backing up on schedule to the server. No worries. All systems are updated/patched/regularly swept for malware and viruses, etc. Was also among the millions who tested W7 last year and have two copies of W7 Professional, one for the Media Center system and one for my primary 'bidness' computer, the Core 2 Duo.

But, am getting ready to do a clean install on the Media Center HP and the question, after all of this background is:

If I set up the clean install with the same login and password as she had before, I should, in theory, be able to access back up files on the server under XP to restore to her system, right? WHS shouldn't care about the hardware as much as user accounts, or so it seems to me. It would be nice to change the login but it's not absolutely necessary.

Where's the flaw in my thinking? If this has been addressed in another thread, I apologize. I didn't see it, but I may not have looked everywhere.
    Many thanks,

Friday, February 5, 2010 9:39 PM

Answers

• Restores are only tied to the WHS admin account. So yes, it should be fine.
    If you keep the same login/password, then that user would be able to access their Shared Folders as usual.
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 12:24 AM
  • Thankyew! I figured as such, but needed validation. :-)
    • Marked as answer by ddunk1946 Saturday, February 6, 2010 2:15 PM
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 2:15 PM

All replies

• Restores are only tied to the WHS admin account. So yes, it should be fine.
    If you keep the same login/password, then that user would be able to access their Shared Folders as usual.
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 12:24 AM
  • Thankyew! I figured as such, but needed validation. :-)
    • Marked as answer by ddunk1946 Saturday, February 6, 2010 2:15 PM
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 2:15 PM