RAS repair within home server console reports error RRS feed

• Question

• I have an issue with the RAS repair process in the home server console which I didn't found in the forum yet:
    My clients (XP SP3 german uptodate path level and Vista home prem. ger also fully updated my microsoft service) both don't can get a connection via home server console. I can ping the server from both machines properly and can make standard remote RDP sessions within my LAN without any problems. The log files on the server and client do not show any error messages.
    The error message on the console screen says "can't find your home server" - the name is properly written and also a trial with IP address insteas the fully name don't work. The console home page is properly accessable from inside (localhost) and from ouside (https://servername.homeserver.com). So I think my home server works properly.
    I have a private inhouse lan with AVM 7170 DSL router which is also DHCP and DNS server. The router and the clients have fix ip-addresses (outside the DHCP scope of course). The DHCP scope is only for guests. It runs as a workgroup and all clients are member of the workgroup - no domain or else, no other operating systems running like the before mentioned (e.g. Unix).
    Does anybody have an idea why I can ping my clients and server and get fine remote RDP seesions, can reach my homeserver website from inside and outside but can't get any access via installation of home server console on the clients to make automatically backups ?
    On the XP machine it has worked since months until powerpack 2 was automatically installed some days ago. Now it can't find his server anymore. On the vista machine I never got any connection neither with powerpack1 nor with 2.
    Thanks for any help/idea.
    Regards
    McEntire

Tuesday, May 5, 2009 3:39 PM

Answers

• I have an issue with the RAS repair process in the home server console which I didn't found in the forum yet:
    My clients (XP SP3 german uptodate path level and Vista home prem. ger also fully updated my microsoft service) both don't can get a connection via home server console. I can ping the server from both machines properly and can make standard remote RDP sessions within my LAN without any problems. The log files on the server and client do not show any error messages.
    The error message on the console screen says "can't find your home server" - the name is properly written and also a trial with IP address insteas the fully name don't work. The console home page is properly accessable from inside (localhost) and from ouside (https://servername.homeserver.com). So I think my home server works properly.
    I have a private inhouse lan with AVM 7170 DSL router which is also DHCP and DNS server. The router and the clients have fix ip-addresses (outside the DHCP scope of course). The DHCP scope is only for guests. It runs as a workgroup and all clients are member of the workgroup - no domain or else, no other operating systems running like the before mentioned (e.g. Unix).
    Does anybody have an idea why I can ping my clients and server and get fine remote RDP seesions, can reach my homeserver website from inside and outside but can't get any access via installation of home server console on the clients to make automatically backups ?
    On the XP machine it has worked since months until powerpack 2 was automatically installed some days ago. Now it can't find his server anymore. On the vista machine I never got any connection neither with powerpack1 nor with 2.
    Thanks for any help/idea.
    Regards
    McEntire

For starters, are you able to ping your server both by name and by IP address?  Also, can you post an ipconfig /all of both server and client?
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 1:50 AM