Has anyone successfully moved a folder using the WHS 2011 dashboard? RRS feed

• Question

• I've tried and get an error that says cannot move the folder.  It goes on to say that the new location is on a hard drive that is not formatted with the NTFS file system.  The drive is however formatted witht he NTFS file system?
    Friday, February 11, 2011 1:08 PM

Answers

• To answer what I thought was the original question about "moving" files.....

When I installed, somewhere in the process my original main five or six shared files were lost.  I recreated them, and created eight or nine more of my own.  But when I was through they were on different drives than I wanted -- different because I wanted them on my smaller drive and my client backups on my larger driver.

I "moved" all 14-15 files between the two drives to get everything where I wanted  without any difficulty.  Answer or question -- yes!!!   Nuff said.

Rev

Friday, February 11, 2011 5:42 PM
  • I've moved a couple of folders already without issue. Moved the client backup folder (couple hundred GB) from an internal to an external USB drive. It took awhile but worked successfully.
    Friday, February 11, 2011 9:44 PM

All replies

• If the drive has no data yet, you might want to go into Computer Manager, Disk Management, and format the drive there.  When I put drives in, I did this with the additional step of deleting the old partitions and creating new ones.  I have moved several folders, some with data and some without, between drives.
    Friday, February 11, 2011 1:29 PM
  • Same here. Had to RDC to the server and format the drive first.
    Friday, February 11, 2011 1:37 PM
  • To answer what I thought was the original question about "moving" files.....

When I installed, somewhere in the process my original main five or six shared files were lost.  I recreated them, and created eight or nine more of my own.  But when I was through they were on different drives than I wanted -- different because I wanted them on my smaller drive and my client backups on my larger driver.

I "moved" all 14-15 files between the two drives to get everything where I wanted  without any difficulty.  Answer or question -- yes!!!   Nuff said.

Rev

Friday, February 11, 2011 5:42 PM
  • I've moved a couple of folders already without issue. Moved the client backup folder (couple hundred GB) from an internal to an external USB drive. It took awhile but worked successfully.
    Friday, February 11, 2011 9:44 PM