WHS now resumes from Hibernate instantly RRS feed

• Question

• Up until a couple days ago my WHS was hibernating when I wanted it to to save power. Now when it hibernates it goes into the hibernated state, the fans turn off, then a fraction of a second later the fans come on and it resumes. I did disconnect the lan cable but still have this issue. 

It's an up to date WHS with PP3. Any help with troubleshooting this would be much appreciated.

NB I was using the LightsOut add-in to control the time WHS stayed hibernated when all client PCs were off. I've now temporarily removed LightsOut whilst I try to resolve this hibernate problem. I realise not everyone wants their server hibernated, but it should hibernate and should not resume instantly when it does. Any ideas why it just started doing this?
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 4:15 PM

Answers

• Well - the normal question: Has something changed on your server (updates, drivers, Add-Ins) or in your network (which would initiate a WoL event)?
    Anything in the event log of the server?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:17 PM
  • No real idea, since servers are basically not meant for being hibernated.
    You could try to disable hibernate, reboot, check if there is enough free space on the C: drive of the server (more than the installed memory) and reenable hibernate.
    How much memory does your server have? I remember, that there was a problem in some configurations with 4 GByte RAM.
    Would msconfig executed on the desktop via Start/Run show any startup programs or non microsoft services, which seem not to be directly associated with Windows Home Server?
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:35 PM

All replies

• Well - the normal question: Has something changed on your server (updates, drivers, Add-Ins) or in your network (which would initiate a WoL event)?
    Anything in the event log of the server?
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 8:17 PM
  • Olaf, thank you for your reply.  I didn't apply any updates around the day it started, I don't even believe there were any MS updates just before either. I built the server a few months ago and it's been in a stable state for some time, happily entering the hibernated state and staying there.

It's not a WoL event, it happens with LAN cable disconnected, and in any case I think the resume from hibernate is much too fast for WoL. It resumes from hibernation in less than a second. Unlike Vista and later versions of Windows, I don't believe WHS (or XP) gives any details of what caused the resume. Event viewer just states resumed from hibernation. To all intents and purposes the hibernation process is working fine, the resume is a good one, except it's resuming instantly it enters the hibernated state.

Suspend (or do we call it Standby?), is OK, when I Suspend the WHS it stays in that state until an intended resume.

Do you know anything I can look at or any program I can run to help with the troubleshooting?
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:09 PM
  • No real idea, since servers are basically not meant for being hibernated.
    You could try to disable hibernate, reboot, check if there is enough free space on the C: drive of the server (more than the installed memory) and reenable hibernate.
    How much memory does your server have? I remember, that there was a problem in some configurations with 4 GByte RAM.
    Would msconfig executed on the desktop via Start/Run show any startup programs or non microsoft services, which seem not to be directly associated with Windows Home Server?
    Olaf
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 7:35 PM