Migration from one AD domain to other RRS feed

• Question

• I have to shift my Microsoft CRM 4.0 from one AD domain to other while we will be using SQL 2008 in new domain. (were using SQL 2005 in old deployment) What steps I need to take for this?

Nazish
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 11:12 AM

Answers

• Backup the organisation database on the SQL 2005 server
    Restore the database to the new SQL Server
    Install CRM on a server in the new domain - create a new deployment (this is temporary, you will delete this organization later)
    - this creates a new configuration and organization database.
    Once installation is completed - use Deployment Manager to import the original organization database. This will take you through mapping CRM users to Active Directory accounts in the new domain. SO make sure that you have created accounts in AD for all the users beforehand.
    You can now use Deployment Manager to delete the organization created during installation.

You may be able to find a way to avoid creating a new organization. If you do please let me know!

You should also review this article regarding SQL 2008 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957053

Hope this helps
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 12:43 PM

All replies

• I found this solution

The basic steps are.
    1. Backup the CRM organisation database in CRM
    2. Restore this database to the new SQL server.
    3. Install CRM server with a temporary organisation with a different name to
    your live organisation
    4. In the Deployment Manage select Import Organisation, and point to you
    restored SQL database.

This will then import the organisation, allowing you to Map users to new
    users in the new domain.

There is one issue around workflows when doing this. Have a look at the
    following KB article.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950680/en-us

Nazish
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 12:42 PM
  • Backup the organisation database on the SQL 2005 server
    Restore the database to the new SQL Server
    Install CRM on a server in the new domain - create a new deployment (this is temporary, you will delete this organization later)
    - this creates a new configuration and organization database.
    Once installation is completed - use Deployment Manager to import the original organization database. This will take you through mapping CRM users to Active Directory accounts in the new domain. SO make sure that you have created accounts in AD for all the users beforehand.
    You can now use Deployment Manager to delete the organization created during installation.

You may be able to find a way to avoid creating a new organization. If you do please let me know!

You should also review this article regarding SQL 2008 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957053

Hope this helps
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 12:43 PM
  • It works..thanks
    Nazish
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 8:22 AM