svchost.exe errors Help... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    My laptop starts up fine but with no sound ie, usual window tune, it does not play any sounds whether it be on a web site or disc etc.
    When connecting to internet , on opening internet explorer I always get the following message.
    svchost.exe instruction oxo1f1cbo referenced at 0x48544950 could not be read.
    Have tried system restore but problem still occurs.. When I get error message it does not matter if I click OK or Cancel as it remains on screen and wont go. Cant do anything after that.
    Only thng that has happened recently is my printer ran out of ink and I shutdown the system without solving problem.
    I have now sorted printer and it works fine, but still no sound and still probs with internet.

ANY HELP WOULD BE A GOD SEND.

I'm not very techie so simple steps would be good.

THANKS

• Moved by liurong luo Friday, March 13, 2009 5:46 AM not a Visual Studio Debugger issue. (Moved from Visual Studio Debugger to Where is the Forum For…?)
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 1:22 PM

Answers

• Hello JAY,

"I need to find which one is causing the probs and how to eliminate it"
         For that purpose, the Process Explorer may help you. Download one from here and run it. Locate at the svchost.exe process that is consuming all the CPU, and double click it to bring up a list of services. You'll be able to see which thread is consuming all the CPU.

Good luck,
    Roahn
    • Marked as answer by liurong luo Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:12 PM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:12 PM

All replies

• Hello JAY,

I understand you situation. But there might be many causes related to this issue.

Could you please provide us with more information about it if you don't mind?
     1. What's the Operating System do you use?
        Please take a look at this KB article if your Operating System is Windows 2000: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/262490.
        Besides, you'll receive this kind of error on a Windows-XP based computer:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927385/
     2. How did the issue happen?
        Do you run Windows Update to scan for updates that use Windows Installer?
        Please refer to this article for more help information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916089

I also recommend you post a report by clicking here if you feel necessary.
    Best regards,
    Roahn
    Monday, March 9, 2009 9:57 AM
  • Thanks for ur reply.
    My sys is WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK 2
    I, tried ur Hotfix but my computer still starts the same. ie no sound etc
    When I start computer before I do anything I need to stop process svchost.exe which in turn starts another process , same name svchost.exe if I stop both of them I can then connect to internet etc.
    I can only guess whatever starts svchost.exe must start as soon as i start my computer.
    I know svchost.exe is used in many progs etc but I need to find which one is causing the probs and how to eliminate it.
    THANKS AGAIN for ur reply.
    Jay
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:01 AM
  • Hello JAY,

"I need to find which one is causing the probs and how to eliminate it"
         For that purpose, the Process Explorer may help you. Download one from here and run it. Locate at the svchost.exe process that is consuming all the CPU, and double click it to bring up a list of services. You'll be able to see which thread is consuming all the CPU.

Good luck,
    Roahn
    • Marked as answer by liurong luo Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:12 PM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:12 PM