none
Overheating problem RRS feed

• Question

• I just bought a HP Media Smart Server EX475.  I ran okay for a couple of days and then started reporting fan error, cpu overheating, record fan speeds, turn off and call tech support. I checked  I spent several hours and several calls trying to get tech support from HP.  One customer service rep told me my units warranty had expired ( (I've only had it two weeks).  She wanted to process a warranty dispute???  When I finaly did get to Tech Support, I was told that they had to information on the MediaSmart Server as it was to new???
    And that they could not help troubleshoot the problem and that I should return it and order a new one.  Which I am in the process of doing.  (a pain)  Does anyone know if this is a common problem, or did I just get a bum unit. Any info is appreciated, I do not want to order another unit and have problems. 

Thank you, Andy
    Thursday, December 27, 2007 8:29 PM

Answers

• Andy, a certain percentage of any device will be defective from the factory, and I certainly agree that your EX475 sounds like it's in that percentage. It's an unfortunate fact of life that quality control for most consumer items consists of testing random units off the line and rejecting an entire run if more than a certain percentage fail.

If you purchased your server direct from HP, you should call their technical support back and tell them that you want to submit a warranty claim, that your server is defective and you want to exchange it for one that's not defective (it sounds like you're already doing this...). If you purchased it from a local vendor, you should probably just do as HP says and take it back for an exchange.
    Thursday, December 27, 2007 9:29 PM

All replies

• Andy, a certain percentage of any device will be defective from the factory, and I certainly agree that your EX475 sounds like it's in that percentage. It's an unfortunate fact of life that quality control for most consumer items consists of testing random units off the line and rejecting an entire run if more than a certain percentage fail.

If you purchased your server direct from HP, you should call their technical support back and tell them that you want to submit a warranty claim, that your server is defective and you want to exchange it for one that's not defective (it sounds like you're already doing this...). If you purchased it from a local vendor, you should probably just do as HP says and take it back for an exchange.
    Thursday, December 27, 2007 9:29 PM
  • WOW! I bought an EX470 from amazon and had the exact thing happen to me! Same thing, overheating alerts (its not really overheating, its just that it thinks that the only safe temperature range is between 0 degrees and 0 degrees!), wierd problems like corruption in the home page, etc. Called HP and was told that my warranty had expired!! After owning it for 2 weeks only. Then the tech told me to just get it replaced since it was still under warranty. Shame.

Friday, December 28, 2007 4:03 AM
  • My computor ,all of a sudden,has started shutting down by itself. When I restart, it says something about: thermal overheating..I don't know what this means and why it is doing it. I dusted the outside  real good and took it out of enclosed part of desk,which had air exposure from the back and I thought enough room on the sides. It had been in this "box" about a year before this started happening....It is about 3 years old helpppppppp

Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:16 PM