WHS 2011: Connector not working RRS feed

  • Question

  • Brand new install of a brand new oem edition on brand new hardware - went falwlessly.

    Fought installing connector on a Windows 7 x64 pro box (mostly removing the version 1 connector) but it now wokrs well, backs-up & so forth. Even shows as online in the dashboard.

    Smooth install of the connector on a Win XP pro Box. it's fully functional, backs up and shows as online in the dashboard.

    NO JOY with the connector on a laptop running XP Pro. The Connector installed easily, said the machine was connected. But the dashboard shows this machine as offline (it isn't). On reboot, the launchpad reports that it can't connect because the server is offline (it isn't). The dashboard will start from the launchpad and operate normally - but shows this machine to be offline. The shares are accessible from the launchpad. "Remote Web Access" reports that the server is offline - it isn't.

    The "Windows Server Health Service" is running - I've stopped and restarted it for good measure NO JOY.

    I uninstalled the connector, uninstalled Dot Net 4.0, reinstalled Dot Net 4.0, reinstalled the connector, but ended up in the same place.

    The machine is current on its updates.

    Seems like it must be something with this XP Pro Laptop in particular since the Server plays well with another machine running XP Pro.

    Any ideas?

    Monday, May 30, 2011 11:05 AM

All replies

  • Could be a firewall or name resolution issue. Firewall (Windows and Third party) should allow NetBIOS ports on local network. If firewall settings are OK please check DNS server settings on a working and the not working XP Client (From command prompt do ipconfig / all and compare results)
    Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    Monday, May 30, 2011 2:58 PM
  • The firewalls are disabled.  Did that before I installed the connector.

    I use my router as a DHCP server.

    The only significant difference between the ipconfig /all reports from the two machines was that the working machine showed a "connection-specific DNS suffix" and the non-working didn't.  I gave the non-working machine a "connection-specific DNS suffix".

    NO JOY.


    Monday, May 30, 2011 5:21 PM
  • I have been fighting this for a week with a couple of windows 7 laptops.  I finally fixed this by adding my servers hostname & IP (IPV4) to my hosts file.  The hosts file is in


    The line to add is IP <tab> hostname

    example:   myHomeServer

    The hosts file is read only so you will need to add yourself to read / write privileges for the file.

    Now, with that said I also enabled DHCPV6 on my router.  There were a few threads on the beta forum for Vail that suggested this.  These forums hinted that DHCPV6 needed to be enabled so the connector could be installed using the hostname vs the ip address.


    do not use

    use http://myHomeServer/connect

    The beta posts hinted that this would setup the connector with the home server's ipv6 address instead of the home server's ipv4 address.  But, in my case enabling DHCPv6 did not let me use the http://myHomesServer/connect until I added the hosts file entry shown above.  The DHCPV6 enabling takes a little time.  So, try the hosts name entry first.  If that doesn't work then try also to enable DHCPV6.  There are several websites that explain how to enable DHCPV6 using a ipv6 address gotton from Hurricane Electric registration.  It is a fairly painless process.  I am a real novice to ipv6.  So, I won't try to give the steps to get this done in this post.


    Good luck

    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 8:36 PM