none
Most forum categories not available from new Question drop down RRS feed

• Question

• I need support for an issue with SBS 2011. However there is no appropriate forum category to select from the drop down the appears after the body of the post.

Since you are not alowed to post without selecting a Forum Category you cannot post.

What am I missing.

Lunsford L. Loving, Jr.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 6:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'm assuming you are refering to the partner forum?

if so it's under data and platform

Then Windows server

Then SBS

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 6:11 PM
  • P.S. place your info into 'ask a question'

Then enter the info

Once you finish your question, then you will get the ability to select a forum.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 6:13 PM
  • I can see the drop down for the categories but not all the forums appear in that dop down. I was looking for Servers(Partner) as a category but nothing like that is listed.

Thanks for the reply.

Lunsford L. Loving, Jr.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:43 PM
  • Servers is there.

http://partnersupport.microsoft.com/en-us/mpndataplat/forum/mpncatwinsvr-mpnwssmbus?tm=1359829144033&tab=unanswered

Data and platform is the forum

Windows Server is category

Windows small business server is topic

It's under Data and platform.

• Marked as answer by Naomi NModerator Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:11 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Naomi NModerator Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:11 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Naomi NModerator Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tad Loving Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:44 AM
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 8:48 PM
  • Since Naomi has declared this is the answer is suppose it is.

However the actual issue is I have not visited the partner community forums for a while and the link stored in my favorites was aparently stale. It led me to here > http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories

Not sure when the change was made but I was lucky enough to not need the community's support since then.

Lunsford L. Loving, Jr.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:43 AM
  • The change was very recent (last weekend). I am actually very upset about it as it doesn't allow me to operate with Partners forums the way I used to.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 2:17 PM
  • Hi Thad,

Please check out my answers to Naomi on another thread:

Hi Naomi,

Firstly, thank you for your comments and for the help you provide to other Partners in these and the Partner forums. I accept that we made some pretty major changes to the Partner forums at the end of last week. We made a call on the communications that we would not go big on the marketing side but try and delight Partners with a great new interface. Judging by your comments that wasn't entirely successful. 

So why did we make the changes:

1) To access the old partner forums for the first time Partners were required to go through an authentication process that could take up to 24 hours. We could see from the data and many Partners told us that they often gave up during the process. The new Partner Support Community fixes this with pretty much instant access.

2) We had repeated Partner feedback that search on the old forums was extremely poor and often unreliable. As a result we saw many Partners drop out of the community and search elsewhere. The new Partner Support Community search provides answers from the Partner forums, MSDN, TechNet, Microsoft Support kb and Dynamics forums. 

3) Forums are great for open discussion but generally they are not good for private conversations. We had many threads in the past that we had to answer with either "call us" or "submit an incident". The new Partner Support Community has a private thread capability. So if our support professional needs to know more or perhaps see a screenshot that includes personal or customer information that thread can be moved to a secure private discussion.

4) As well as private threads we now have a capability to launch private forums. We often have requests from Partners for private forums within the Partner forum. For example, let's say a private forum for all Partner architects worldwide to share information and questions that they do not want shared with the wider community.

5) Me Too! Some Partners like this some definitely do not. The reason there is a Me Too button is that it allows us to gauge the amount of Partner support for a particular question. We have internal triggers that mean where we see spikes on a thread we take the content so that thread back to the relevant team in Microsoft to drive change.

6) Community expansion. Over the next two months we will be launching MPN program support communities across 10 additional languages. We needed a platform that could support that expansion and enable us to engage directly with Partners worldwide.

So, Naomi, none of this is to say that we could not have done a better job communicating. I also accept that you and many other frequent users of the existing forums are our key customers in this area. So I will commit to looking at any suggestions you have that would make the new Partner Support Community better. Some things we may be able to change quickly some may take more time.

What would help me is if you post all your input into the Partner feedback forum (you find this on the bottom left of every Partner Support Community page) - that way we can get a discussion going with yourself and others about continual improvement.

Thank you very much for you contributions

Thanks

Paul

Microsoft Partner Services

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 6:21 PM
  • Thanks a lot, Paul, for your answer. I'll probably add this feedback later on. For now my problem is that I had the ASP.NET forum as part of my forums and I was able to access all the new threads in this forum. I was not really answering, but I was using it to learn some new stuff from others questions. So, if I somehow can have that access without a need to go to the different platform, that will be great.

Also I think you should have communicated about this change in advance to all Partners and let your reasons know up front. This would have avoided several new threads all about the same problem.

My blog

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 7:08 PM
  • Thanks Naomi.

I take your point about the communication. We wanted to delight and surprise - but we may have leaned too heavily on the surprise side...

Paul

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 7:33 PM
  • Naomi - bookmark this view  - http://partnersupport.microsoft.com/en-us/mpndevelop/forum/mpnaspnet?tab=all&tm=1360179354206

See if that gives you back what you need.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 7:36 PM
  • Thanks, it sort of gives me what I want, but not as I want.

You see, I spent most of my time in MSDN transact-SQL forum where I answer a lot of questions. Once I'm done with that forum or in the meantime, I click on 'My Forums' and browse other forums I like or click on 'My Forum Threads' and browse recent forum's threads or even click on 'Forum's Home' (as 'My Forums' no longer have 'latest reply').

So, now, in order to stay current with the ASP.NET forum's threads I need to go to completely different place and see the interface I practically never used before (as I am not frequent Answers forums). This is why this move presents a great inconvenience for me personally. Most likely I will not visit that forum now or will visit it only occasionally (with ~10% of frequency compared to my original). It is not too big of a deal as I put my ASP.NET MVC project aside for some time while I am working on C# project right now (and this is where I may have questions). Still I'll miss it. 

My blog

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 8:06 PM
  • Paul?  Is there a way to "bookmark" a forum to add it to the view of technet forums?

I'm guessing the answer is no as they are two different engines/databases?  (Doesn't hurt to ask).

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 8:08 PM