password issue RRS feed

• Question

• I received an error message that says "Money detected that you did not close the file "My Money" before exiting and it now needs to verify the information in the file.  When I click yes, I keep getting the error that the password is incorrect, but I know for a fact that it is correct.  I tried to reset the password, but I think since the online services are no longer valid, it doesn't detect that I've reset the password.  I've tried to even bypass verifying the information in the file, but I still get the incorrect password error message.  How can I bypass that or reset my password?  I'm using Microsoft Money Deluxe and I have a Windows 7 OS.
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 10:28 PM

All replies

• Say what version of Money you are using-- Plus or 2005.  Say whether you need to enter an email address and a password, or just a password, as you continue with the steps below.

Do not attempt to reset your password. The credentials that will get you into your file will be those in effect when the file was saved or crashed. 

You could try making a repaired version of your file by doing a File->Repair->StandardRepair, level 2, on your *.mny file. That would require your credentials.

If that does not work, and if you have a recent backup (*.mbf file), I would  open Money
    by right-clicking the *.mbf file in Windows explorer, and choosing Open.  You can choose to overwrite the problem
    file by restoring to the "default location, or you can Browse to your Documents folder, and choose a new name that will not
    overwrite the existing file.  If your newest backup file has a problem, then use a slightly earlier backup file.

Friday, November 8, 2013 6:32 PM