Dedicated SQL Instance For OCS 2007 R2 RRS feed

• General discussion

• We are looking at deploying OCS 2007 R2 and I keep coming across documentation stating that the OCS databases must reside on their own SQL Instance.  Now being a SQL DBA, I know that the only reason to really force this issue would be if a given system is making direct modifications to the system databases (master, model, msdb) on a given instance.  Microsoft does not even allow DBAs to do this anymore so I am surprised they would.  Well, kind of surprised.  I can find nothing that answers my questions of "why does it have to be on its own instance and if it is a result of them making system DB modifications, what are those modifications.".  Can anyone help me out with the actual reason for this statement? 

Thanks!  Much appreciated!

Monday, October 26, 2009 9:44 PM

All replies

• The way it was explained to me is that there is a high amount of DB modifcations caused by things as simple as Presence information changing.  That is why they want it to be it's own instance.

What we ended up doing is creating it's own named instance on a lightly used SQL server we already had. 
    Monday, October 26, 2009 10:03 PM
  • A high amount of DB mods?  I presume this must be system databases otherwise what good does seperating onto a differnt instance rather than a differnt server do?
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 3:34 PM
  • Hello,

Good question, I have also found this statement in the planning guide for OCS and do not fully understand why. My guess is that it is for convenience and that is is better to be safe than sorry. I think OCS could share instance with something else, but what if something else needs to upgrade the instance, stop it, restart it, etc...

It is not a full answer, but you can find some more details about OCS and SQL here:
    http://www.leedesmond.com/weblog/?p=550
    http://communicationsserverteam.com/archive/2009/04/16/430.aspx

/mk

Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:04 PM
  • Actually I don't believe that there are that many technical changes to the SQL instance but that the recommendation comes from the fact that Microsoft can certainly not test OCS database collocated in the the same instance as every other third-party database out there.  Thus collocating them into an instance with existing production database could potentially create some issue that MS could not for see and not be able to support.

I've (against my recommendations) installed OCS R1 and R2 back-end databases into existing SQL instances already running other DBs for Microsoft applications like SharePoint and various third-party DBs and have seen no ill effects (in those specific deployments) but I still always recommend a dedicated instance for OCS.  It's simply a best practice, not a technical requirement.

That said, all OCS R2 databases (Back-End, Archiving, Grou Chat, etc) can all be installed in the same instance.  Only additional Pool back-end databases or any Director DBs (which all use the same DB names) would require additional, separate SQL instances.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 12:40 PM