Suggestion: AutoLogon for WHS console RRS feed

• Question

• There is an option to remember the password for the WHS console.

But that still requires hitting the 'arrow' to start the logon process.

Please consider adding an additional option to automatically logon when 'WHS Console' is selected from the WHS system tray icon.

Sunday, June 17, 2007 1:24 PM

All replies

• In normal use, only the WHS administrator (AKA "Mom" or "Dad", most likely) will need to use the WHS Console on a client PC. Also, the console isn't something that one will normally be using every day; it's intended to be used only infrequently, when there's a problem or you need to make a change to the WHS configuration (e.g. adding a drive).
    Sunday, June 17, 2007 1:30 PM
  • If AutoLogon is incorporated, please hide it!

I don't want just anyone being able to have access to the server, possibly without knowing what they are doing.

Colin

Sunday, June 17, 2007 5:39 PM
  • WHS Console should at least have the same level of automation available with Remote Desktop - where it is possible to save the username/password - and automate the logon.

This isn't a security issue - since there's already an option for saving the password.  All I'm asking for is the option to bypass the additional click on the login arrow in the WHS Console window.  Since you have to ask to bring up the WHS Console with one click already from the system tray - why force an additional click in the WHS Console window - when the password has already been entered automatically?

On the other hand, for security reasons, the 'save password' functionality could be enabled/disabled as part of the Settings on the WHS - so that for users wanting to provide increased security - they could force the password to be entered every time.

Monday, June 18, 2007 2:56 AM
  • Just use Microsoft PowerToys TweakUI 2.02 for Windows XP/ 2003 Server, that will do the job well, I suppose...
    Monday, June 18, 2007 7:28 PM