none
The thread that won't die

General discussion

• The thread Visual Basic Vs. Visual Basic Express just won't die. I really think there is no benefit to it continuing but it does continue. Most of the discussion should occur elsewhere (not in the Expression Web and SuperPreview forum) where people with more knowledge and experience with the material will have an opportunity to contribute. As it is (for example), people are (at least one person is) insisting that Access is the ideal solution for a web site.

Yes, I know I should report it to moderators. I did. That does nothing. So maybe I am wrong; perhaps it should be allowed to continue. I really think however that the discussion won't be much help to people in the future. Note that Ron, the person asking for help, does not know what a compiler is. He seems to ignore any advice to read a book. He will continue to post more questions in the same thread until something happens.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 5:09 AM

All replies

• Really a long thread.

Btw, just a little correction for your future reference - ASP.NET does not run as CGI, but ISAPI filter - one step earlier in the execution chain.

In addition to having faster execution performance, this enables the .NET runtime to have integrated control of various IIS behavior using web.config when your web application is loaded. Another advantage is enabling users uploading 1GB file won't eat up your memory - the runtime will save them chunk-by-chunk for you before handling the control back to your code.

Since PHP is mentioned in the thread, I'll add that PHP is able to be installed as either ISAPI filter or (Fast)CGI application.

======

Btw, regarding FP extension, I remember they did provide download to "web deploy tool (support deployment via FP2000 extension)" in Web Platform Installer . Not sure if they still provide that or whether it'll install on Win7 though.

Monday, January 29, 2018 10:46 AM
  • Thank you for clarifying about ASP.Net and PHP. I knew that there was more to it but I forgot the details. I hope that what I said is no significant difference in that context. I do want to some day do something similar to what ASP.Net and PHP do so I would need to know about that eventually. Since ISAPI filters are unique to IIS, the portability of any software requires that they be able to execute as a CGI, right? Apparently ASP in Apache is a CGI. One big disadvantage of CGI is that each CGI program, such as a PHP page, uses a separate process and that can be a big performance problem for busy web sites. All these are details and I simplified things by saying CGI.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Monday, January 29, 2018 10:10 PM