Installation in a VM RRS feed

• Question

• I was trying to install the home server in MS Virtual PC 2007 to do my testing. The installation failed and asked if I wanted to veiw the log file. It never open the log file. Does any one have any suggestions? My PC has a P4 3.02 GHz with HT, 2 Gig of RAM and plenty of HD to boot. Thanks.
    Monday, June 4, 2007 6:34 PM

Answers

• Because of the way that WHS manages storage, my understanding was that Virtual PC installations weren't supported at this time. You may be able to get it working, but it might not be the best way to test the software.  In order to give it a good test, you really need to run it on its own machine. That said, the hardware requirements are fairly light, so an older box or used box is working just fine for many people.
    Tuesday, June 5, 2007 9:00 AM

All replies

•  C17 Load wrote:
    I was trying to install the home server in MS Virtual PC 2007 to do my testing. The installation failed and asked if I wanted to veiw the log file. It never open the log file. Does any one have any suggestions? My PC has a P4 3.02 GHz with HT, 2 Gig of RAM and plenty of HD to boot. Thanks.

Without more information about why it failed, the only suggestion I could give is that you try again.

Good luck...

Monday, June 4, 2007 6:38 PM
  • I plan on trying again and I'll try to get a screen shot to go with it. Thanks.
    Monday, June 4, 2007 6:58 PM
  • Because of the way that WHS manages storage, my understanding was that Virtual PC installations weren't supported at this time. You may be able to get it working, but it might not be the best way to test the software.  In order to give it a good test, you really need to run it on its own machine. That said, the hardware requirements are fairly light, so an older box or used box is working just fine for many people.
    Tuesday, June 5, 2007 9:00 AM
  • The whole point of VMs is to be able to test new software without having to use a whole PC. I may end up using my little girls rig since it is the most expendable PC I have. I still hope that I can run it in a VM though.
    Tuesday, June 5, 2007 3:23 PM
  • If you use VMWare server, it's possible.  I have it currently running.  The only thing you'll need are the LSI ScSi driver diskette from vmware.com.  During WHS setup, it'll ask you for the drivers.
    Tuesday, June 5, 2007 3:28 PM