Email Tracking Issues With Custom Queue and Entity RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a custom entity named "ticket" which has queues enabled for the entity. I have a "Support" queue where emails sent to support@example.com are created as items in the queue.

I have a workflow that runs on the creation of queue items where "email to" equals support@example.com and "regarding" does not contain data. This workflow sends an email to two CRM users notifying them that a new queue item has been created and is yet to be set regarding a record in the custom "ticket" entity.

My problem is, when I look in my email activities, I can see the email that's been sent to me by the workflow but it also seems to have been sent to several records in the custom entity. When I open these records they all have the email showing as a closed activity. Below is a screenshot of one of the emails when opened, you can see it references several entity records including the two users/contacts that I selected in the workflow.

Does anybody have any information as to why this might occur?

James Bratley

Thursday, October 18, 2012 9:50 AM

Answers

• When you open the email, all the recipients in the To list must be having the same email address. Open one by one and check the email address in those records

Let's say you have a user with name James Bratley which you are setting in workflow. You have a contact with the same name in the To list of the created email. If I am not wrong, just like the name you might have used the same email address to create the contact.

Open the contact or any other record and compare the email address.

Thanks Anil Chelasani http://exploringxrm.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by James Bratley Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:20 PM
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:04 PM

All replies

• could you also share screenshot for your workflow, how you set properties of email ??

Contact Me
    Follow me on Twitter
    Make sure to "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer",if you get answer of your question.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 9:53 AM
  • Hi, please find screenshots below. I've also tried this without the "regarding" option set on the email properties and it still has the same issue.

Thanks,

James Bratley

Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:01 AM
  • You might be using the same EmailID in the other entity records thats the reason it is getting matched records with that email

• Proposed as answer by Anil_Ch Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:06 PM
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:12 AM
  • I am agree with Anil, are you using the same email address in other entities  ??

Contact Me
    Follow me on Twitter
    Make sure to "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer",if you get answer of your question.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 10:36 AM
  • Sorry, how do you mean by using the same email address in other entities? Where do I check which email address is assigned against each entity?

James Bratley

Thursday, October 18, 2012 11:57 AM
  • When you open the email, all the recipients in the To list must be having the same email address. Open one by one and check the email address in those records

Let's say you have a user with name James Bratley which you are setting in workflow. You have a contact with the same name in the To list of the created email. If I am not wrong, just like the name you might have used the same email address to create the contact.

Open the contact or any other record and compare the email address.

• Marked as answer by James Bratley Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:20 PM
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:04 PM
  • Thanks Anil,

This makes sense now. The users in the "To" field of the workflow are the users who will be creating records in the custom "ticket" entity. These have the contact records of the two users assigned against the records which is why this is happening?

Is there a way to stop this?

Thanks,

James Bratley

Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:11 PM
  • I've just sorted this by creating a contact under our own companies account which has the email of a distribution group in our Exchange organisation. This works fine but it would be good if there was a workaround within the process flow?

James Bratley

Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:20 PM