Re-popoulate original planned work n Timesheet - Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I have a question about timesheets in Project Server 2010

When a resource submits actual work, this resource can enters different actual work from planned work , when this occurs the planned work is updated with new actual work

If the project manager is not agree with this value, project manager can rejected this timesheet but my question is: How project manager can show again to his resource the original planned work ?

team member can´t see the original planned work (planned work in project pro), he just see the actual and planed work updated himself and rejected.

Is there any way to re-populate in timesheet the planned work that is indicated in Project Professional 2010?

Help me please

Gina Ocaña
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 4:15 PM

Answers

• HI Gina,

The "Work" column is often refered to as "Current Forecast". The reason why this is is simply because Work = Actual Work + Remaining Work. That also means that if actual work is higher than work, than work will change. As Mark outlined the only way currently to check the original value is to baseline the project. I know that can be confusing, but once you are used to it you will be fine :)

In regards to your querstion on how a PM can show again to his resource the work is failry simply in the timesheet. Just add the "Planned Work" row into the timesheet which will display the "work". You are also right by saying that your resource will only see their assignment and not necessarly to total work for a task ( if more than one resource is assigned to the task). That can be overcome in several different ways. I guess the easiest is if the resource either drills down into the task ( by selecting the task name URL link) or by simply given them access to the schedule via PWA. I would genreally recommend this anyway, so that the team can see the big picture.

I hope that helps

Marc Soester [MVP] http://marcsoester.blogspot.com
    Friday, January 7, 2011 1:11 AM

All replies

• Gina,

It's a best practice to baseline project schedules prior to publishing them.  If the project schedule is baselined, then it's a simple matter of looking in the Baseline Work field for that task to see the original value.

If you are using OLAP, you should be able to see the actual values there, since the timesheet data was rejected, it should not have updated OLAP.

Regards,

Mark Everett MCITP|PMP

www.umt.com

Thursday, January 6, 2011 4:51 PM
  • HI Gina,

The "Work" column is often refered to as "Current Forecast". The reason why this is is simply because Work = Actual Work + Remaining Work. That also means that if actual work is higher than work, than work will change. As Mark outlined the only way currently to check the original value is to baseline the project. I know that can be confusing, but once you are used to it you will be fine :)

In regards to your querstion on how a PM can show again to his resource the work is failry simply in the timesheet. Just add the "Planned Work" row into the timesheet which will display the "work". You are also right by saying that your resource will only see their assignment and not necessarly to total work for a task ( if more than one resource is assigned to the task). That can be overcome in several different ways. I guess the easiest is if the resource either drills down into the task ( by selecting the task name URL link) or by simply given them access to the schedule via PWA. I would genreally recommend this anyway, so that the team can see the big picture.

I hope that helps

Marc Soester [MVP] http://marcsoester.blogspot.com
    Friday, January 7, 2011 1:11 AM
  • Thanks for your answers.

I did a test and I drills down the task and I selected task name URL link. In edit detail pages of this taks i just see the actual work uptaded by the team member, and i still i cant´ see original planned work.

If i go to project details view i can see original planned work.

So, i think that answer is go to detail pages views of this project in PWA.

Another suggestions?

Greetings

Gina

Gina Ocaña
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 7:18 PM
  • Hi Gina,

I have currently no ssystem available to verify, so please try first. But I am quite sure that it will work: Add column "Publish" in project, set it to "No", publish your plan, set it back to "Yes" and publish once more.

Be careful, doing so will delete all pending updates and reset them for this task! So make sure that you accept all changes first (if you don't want to reject them).

After publishing for the second time, your resource should be able to see work as displayed in project details and project.

Does that help?
    Barbara

Saturday, January 8, 2011 7:44 PM