none
Windows Server 2003 R2 versus Windows Compute Cluster 2003

Question

• I am confused, I read in the documentation that either windows server 2003 enterprise or Windows Compute Cluster 2003 will provide capability to develop a server and run an application speaking to nodes using MPI.

Now, I installed Server 2003 Enterprise R2 but I can not find Compute Cluster Pack?

Do I need to install WIndows Compute CLuster 2003 to be able to write an application using CCP SDK and run it as a high performance cluster.

I will really Appreciate any feedback on this matter.

Thanks.
    Thursday, January 08, 2009 5:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for the confusion here. Microsoft licensing has been known to be a bit Byzantine so I’ll do my best to clear this up.

We have two products. Our first release was called Compute Cluster Server and the second release is called Windows HPC Server. We changed the name as our product had scaled to meet large scale, demanding HPC workloads.

Both products are logically the same in that you can think of them as having two DVDs. The first is the DVD for the operating system, Windows Server. Our OS is Windows Server, Standard Edition. The second DVD is Compute Cluster Pack (in our first release) or HPC Pack (in our second release).

The HPC Pack can be installed on the OS that comes with HPC Server or it can be installed on Standard Server, Enterprise Server, or Datacenter. If you have a copy of Windows HPC Server then it should have come with HPC Pack.

Now, how do you get HPC Pack? If you want to get started today I’d recommend downloading the eval from: http://www.microsoft.com/hpc/en/us/try-it.aspx. The HPC Pack is also available through MSDN, OEMs (Dell, HP, IBM, Cray, SGI, etc.), and directly through Microsoft’s sales team.

If any of this is confusing and you want more clarification please let me know. Also, if you want help contacting our sales team please send me mail at Ryanw at Microsoft.

Thanks,

ryan

Ryan Waite - Product Unit Manager - Windows HPC
    Friday, January 09, 2009 6:18 PM