Cannot connect to server occursing during LaunchPad backup suggestions? RRS feed

• Question

• And before you ask I did submit this to Microsoft Connect with log files attached.  I am simply posting here to provide more information and for suggestions from others of things I can try next.

I had the latest version of Vail installed on my EX495 (2 HD's 2TB and 1.5TB). (PLEASE NOTE THE DRIVE ORDER) Nothing had been changed from the default installation.  Everything worked correctly but my server seemed to always run a bit slowly when copying files to shares.  I decided to install a new 640GB drive for the OS that would be outside of the storage pool (3 HD's 640GB, 1.5TB, 2TB).  After installation I was suprised to notice that my old backups and other files still existed.  I did the following:

I removed any backups or files I could find, ensured that the 640GB drive was outside of the storage pool, allocated the full 640GB drive to the OS, removed/repartitioned/readded the 1.5TB drive from use as storage, turned off shadow copy and duplication on folders where I felt it was not needed. (NOTE I must have also repartitioned the 2TB drive because it now shows up without a boot partition but I don't remember having done that :))

I then tried to run backups on my two pc's.  The backup of the netbook was good.  The backup on my rather large gaming pc was not.  The error indicated that one of my new 3 month old hard drives (1.5TB)  was possibly going bad while backing up the E drive on my gaming pc.  I did a check and repair on the (1.5TB) drive and it found no issues.  However, now backups of my gaming pc rather than taking hours ends after about 60 seconds with a Cannot connect to server error.  To fix this error I have tried removing my gaming pc from Vail and performing an uninstall/reinstall of the vail connector software on my gaming pc. 

Two side notes:

First, during all of this I did discover that removing the OS drive from the storage pool did not result in a noticable speed increase.  However, I did get a noticable speed increase by turning off shadow copy and duplication on most of my folders.

Second,  it was/is not really clear to me how to safely wipe out all data within the storage pool in order to return the server to a known good/stable state.  I could not find anything about this online and I realize that this would be a rather rare occurrance but I still feel it's something that should be available and documented by Microsoft. 

I guess I am not a very good Beta tester because I should have remembered everthing I did but at least I took the time to document everything I could remember here.

Finally I would appreciate any suggestions from the community as to what I should try next.  Thanks.

P.P.S I still love Vail thats why I am in the Beta program I think it can be the best home server OS to date.

Sunday, September 12, 2010 6:05 PM

Answers

• OK I must have gotten someone at Microsoft Connect upset because they closed my ticket before I could update it and send updated logs.  Oh well.  Anyway my backups are now working and I have no idea why.  After the last backup on my gaming pc failed. I did a successful backup of my netbook.  To my suprise about 6pm yesterday the server automatically started a backup on my gaming pc and this time it worked with no errors.  The backup did take 8 hours but it did work.  My next task will be to continue to do backups and some time next week to try and backup the server.

If someone could close this out I would appreciate it.  I got the following response from Microsoft Connect yesterday.

Thank you very much for submitting feedback to us via Connect. Your input is very valuable to us. We are aware of this particular issueyou reported and it is already being tracked in our system. We are happy to inform you that the particular issue is being addressed fixed in CTP5. The issue here is a race condition. It is likely that if you try to backup again the backup will succeed

Monday, September 20, 2010 3:38 AM

All replies

• Not sure how to help with your issue. But at least to wiping, you would probably just need to reinstall Vail and have it format the disks as they get attached.
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 12:12 AM
  • Yes I did post an update into Microsoft Connect!!

Ok as of right now backups are again in progress.  First I decided to reformat the Client Backup folder.

During that operation I got an error indicating that there were errors and that I needed to Check and repair the folder.

I ran the Check and repair and it indicated that there were NTFS errors and I needed to format the folder.

I formatted the folder again and that operation was successful.  After installing updates and a quick reboot the server is attempting its first successful backup of my gaming pc in a week.

I will post the status of the backup in the forums tomorrow and if it is successful I will write my best guess of what I probably did wrong to start this entire mess.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 12:34 AM
  • ... what I probably did wrong to start this entire mess.

Messed with the disks outside of the Dashboard or shares? :)
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 3:18 AM
  • Yep that darn Disk manager gets me into so much trouble :) but how else wasm I going to repartition the 640GB and the 1.5TB drives.
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 3:43 AM
  • Yes I have a bug into Microsoft Connect with this same information.

I wanted to record everthing that I have done regarding this issue so you would have a complete history.
    Prior to this upgrade I have not had a single issue with Vail.

It all started when I attempted to speed up my EX495 that is running Vail by adding a new 640GB hard drive for the OS.
    I installed the new drive in slot 0 and moved the 2.0TB drive in Slot 0 to Slot 2.

After the installation I noticed:
    1. The entire 640GB was not being used for the OS.  I believe Vail allocated 60GB for the OS and the rest was being used for the storage pool.
    2.  The data that was currently in the storage pool still existed.

I wanted everthing initilized fresh and new so I used a combination of deleting data files, removing the drives, repartitioning the drives, formatting the folders, and turning off shadow copy and duplication to get the drives empty and to what I thought was a good known state.  This included the full 640GB being allocated to the OS drive.

I did a backup on my netbook and that worked at least once, but backups to my gaming rig (3 2TB HD's not all of them full) always seemed to fail at 45%. 
    Looking at the alerts I had an error on the origional 1.5TB disk that came with the machine.  (machine is 3 months old btw).
    I cleared that alert.  Later I started getting errors that the backup service was not running.  Everytime I restarted the backup service it would die.
    I formatted the backup folders,  Removed the drive from the storage pool.  Partitioned the drive to NTFS and did a long slow full format of the drive.

Afterwards I added the drive back back to the storage pool with duplication ON.
    I tried a few more backups that again were not successful.  So I assumed it was probably my client PC. 
    I did a chkdsk on the C:, D:, E: drives on my gaming pc and again formatted the backup folder.

Now I am getting an error that the backup is failing for an unknown reason.

I will have a new 2.0TB hard drive arriving tomorrow but as of right now I am not getting any alerts indicating drive errors.

I guess the moral to the story is that I should have probably posted my desire to add in the 640GB in the forums first. 

Thursday, September 16, 2010 8:08 PM
  • OK I must have gotten someone at Microsoft Connect upset because they closed my ticket before I could update it and send updated logs.  Oh well.  Anyway my backups are now working and I have no idea why.  After the last backup on my gaming pc failed. I did a successful backup of my netbook.  To my suprise about 6pm yesterday the server automatically started a backup on my gaming pc and this time it worked with no errors.  The backup did take 8 hours but it did work.  My next task will be to continue to do backups and some time next week to try and backup the server.
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 3:01 AM

If someone could close this out I would appreciate it.  I got the following response from Microsoft Connect yesterday.

Thank you very much for submitting feedback to us via Connect. Your input is very valuable to us. We are aware of this particular issueyou reported and it is already being tracked in our system. We are happy to inform you that the particular issue is being addressed fixed in CTP5. The issue here is a race condition. It is likely that if you try to backup again the backup will succeed

Monday, September 20, 2010 3:38 AM