none
W7 updates immediately followed by...WHS connector cannot connect to Server RRS feed

• Question

• Last used my server 2 minutes before closing down last night - server and pc have been working with no problems for weeks since Acer re-installed the WHS operating system on the server. When closing pc there were 4 microsoft updates which the system required to install then close down. The updates were installed successfully and the pc closed down and the server switched off. This morning I switched on the server as normal and powered up the pc which then needed to complete the install of updates upon the pc restart. This included updating 795 machine components and the updates were flagged as successful and W7 logon screen appeared. The WHS connector icon appears green yet when I tried logging I get the message "cannot connect to WHS ......" I disconnected the server + router restarted both server and pc and again attempted to access the server admin login with same negative result. Checked McAfee and confirmed full access settings. Attempted http:55000 and https:56000 route and neither can connect to the server with same message "cannot connect to WHS....." . Next opened a second pc which accessed the server mid afternoon yesterday and got the same W7 updates at logon and same negative result  "cannot connect to WHS.....". No data added to or removed from server yesterday - only reading files. WHS is set for auto-updates. This seems reasonably conclusive that the W7 updates have affected the WHS Server connector. Is there a WHS update that has not been released in time to sync with the latest W7 updates last night and please someone remind me what the Remote Connection procedure is (using the pc command function - not the internet as I specifically did not set up remote internet access). Why is the WHS connector so fragile/affected by W7 updates and what is the solution apart from dumping the server and reverting to external hard disks attached to each pc which were reliable?   

Thursday, June 24, 2010 2:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• Can you ping your server by name? By IP address? Have you tried rebooting your server?

The connector is unrelated to http/https connections to your server, so if you can't connect that way I think the problem lies elsewhere.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 2:22 PM
  • Ken

I can ping the server by IP address and server name - replies received within 1ms on both. The server has been rebooted 3 times along ith the pc's.

I was using the http/https to attempt re-download the WHS server connector software which would have auto-uninstalled the previous version and installed a latest version if available. Unfortunately neither route allows connection to server to access the software. No McAfee update between last night and this morning. The shared folders can still be accessed via the desktop icon - it's the admin log-in function - as before - which is the recurring problem.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 2:45 PM
  • Ken

If the WHS server software is set for auto-update and just supposing that a software update is required and is made available today then how often does the server check for updates and if it finds a connector update at what point will the user be notified that a server connector upgrade is available - after the first restart of the server and pc subsequent to the WHS auto-update completing?  

Thursday, June 24, 2010 3:05 PM
  • The connector checks it's version against the version of Windows Home Server very regularly (every few minutes) and will alert after a server upgrade if required. There have been no recent updates to Windows Home Server specifically, though. Windows Server 2003 gets updated pretty regularly, but that won't touch the connector.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:47 PM
  • Ken

This is almost an exact re-run of the previous problem I reported on jan 26th "Cannot access WHS console or by remote access." when there was a previous W7 update and both you and Olaf Engelke were corresponding with me and eventually led me to send off the server and have Acer re-install the WHS software.

It has got to be more than a coincidence if two separate W7 updates in January and June are released/installed and then immediately the WHS Connector problem occurs/recurs. It there have been no recent updates of WHS / WHS Connector then it seems reasonable to consider the likelyhood that a specific part of the W7 update yesterday has altered something that now requires WHS connector to be upgraded to match. 

Is it possible for you to determine if a WHS Connector update/upgrade is about to be released to include any changes required by yesterday's W7 updates? 

Thursday, June 24, 2010 5:17 PM
  • I agree it's more than a coincidence. Something about your environment is affecting, or affected by, Windows Updates that are being applied. But I don't know what, and have never seen the issue myself. My point, though, is that your inability to connect to http://server:55000 isn't indicative of a problem with the connector. The problem lies elsewhere, and the fact that everything worked for a while but doesn't now makes me think it's updates being applied to your server.

Just so we're clear, which of the following have you tried, and what are the results:

• Ping your server by name from the affected client and a client that's not affected (if you have any).
    • Ping your server by IP address.
    • Access your server's shares using the server name.
    • Access your server's shares using the server's IP address.
    • Connect to your server's remote access web site from inside your network using http://server.
    • Connect to the remote access web site inside your network by using the server's IP address.
    • Connect to the connector installation site by name.
    • Connect to the connector installation site by IP address.
    • Run the Windows Home Server toolkit troubleshooter on the client with the issue.

Also, have you installed any add-ins? Have you installed any software using the server desktop? Uninstalled anything either way?

Thursday, June 24, 2010 5:33 PM
  • Ken

The http://server test  has produced the following server error and is repeatable on different p/cs. Can you clarify what this fault means in terms of the problem I am encountering and has been caused by the W7 updates? I will continue with the other checks as per your list.

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
      <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="Off"/>
      </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
      <system.web>
        <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
      </system.web>
    </configuration>

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:38 PM
  • Ken

Update on the other tests:

• Ping your server by name from the affected client and a client that's not affected (if you have any). OK
    • Ping your server by IP address. OK
    • Access your server's shares using the server name. OK
    • Access your server's shares using the server's IP address. RUNTIME ERROR
    • Connect to your server's remote access web site from inside your network using http://server. RUNTIME ERROR
    • Connect to the remote access web site inside your network by using the server's IP address. RUNTIME ERROR
    • Connect to the connector installation site by name. HOW?
    • Connect to the connector installation site by IP address. HOW - different or same IP address as server?
    • Run the Windows Home Server toolkit troubleshooter on the client with the issue. THE troubleshooter produces various errors - all under "Cannot Connect"  to the server internal Web site (password hint page)/Cannot connect to the server secure internal Web site/Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (simple page)/Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (ASPX page)/Cannot connect to the server internal Web site over IP address (password hint page)/Cannot connect to the server internal Web site over IP address (ASPX page)/

Also, have you installed any add-ins? NO. Have you installed any software using the server desktop? NO. Uninstalled anything either way? NO.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:28 PM
  • Ken

I googled Server Error in '/' Application and was directed to : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823379/en-us which deals with :-

When you try to log on to Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 after you install Windows SharePoint Services 2.0 on a domain controller, you receive an error message :

Error: Server Error in '/' Application.

Access to the path "C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files\root\8c91a6b5\649b28ba" is denied.

You receive this error message even though you use the correct user name and password.

This has got to be connected to the W7 update procedure yesterday and a conflict within the server software. 

Thursday, June 24, 2010 7:37 PM
  • Ken

I found another forum advising the following (para-phrased):

One reason causing this problem is the framework of your server is not the same to the framework of your PC. One is based on ".net framework X" and the is ".net framework Y". 

If correct my PC's (all W7) are running one (newer) version and the Server another (older) version? Please advise how to check versions on my p/c's - and without access to the server what would the server auto update procedure have loaded into my server? 

Any software update/correction must surely lie with the WHS programmers to sync with W7 updates.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:20 PM
  • On 6/24/2010 4:20 PM, antfortas wrote:

Ken

I found another forum advising the following (para-phrased):

One reason causing this problem is the framework of your server is not the same to the framework of your PC. One is based on ".net framework X" and the is ".net framework Y".

If correct my PC's (all W7) are running one (newer) version and the Server another (older) version? Please advise how to check versions on my p/c's - and without access to the server what would the server auto update procedure have loaded into my server?

Any software update/correction must surely lie with the WHS programmers to sync with W7 updates.

Well if you got the latest updates, you're probably running .NET 4.0 on Windows 7 (it's a pre-req for the upcoming Service Pack I believe).  Or you're running 3.5 SP1 and there was an update for that.  As for the server, you could do a manual update by going into the server through Remote Desktop Connection (even though Microsoft doesn't support this).  Just put Administrator and your WHS password in.  You'll have to do it by the IP though (assuming you know that) as it probably won't recognize your server name.

Hope this helps, and have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:32 PM
  • Hi

I tried accessing the server via the remote website using HTTP/HTTPS/IP Address and on each occasion received the following:

Configuration Error
    Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized configuration section 'connectionStrings'

Source Error:

Line 10: <configuration>
    Line 11:  <appSettings/>
    Line 12:  <connectionStrings/>
    Line 13:  <system.web>
    Line 14:   <!--

Source File: c:\inetpub\wwwroot\web.config    Line: 12

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2443; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2460

Can you explain what this means and how to resolve and also are the .Net Framework and ASP.NET version from my pc or the server? 

Thursday, June 24, 2010 10:39 PM
  •  

What version of Microsoft .NET Framework and ASP.NET Version is WHS currently running with auto-update enabled? It seems to me that if this is the root problem then it will recur every time there is a W7 update to p/c's for the above software - as has now happened to me twice. This should not be happening.

What have the WHS programmers got to say about how to sort this? 

Friday, June 25, 2010 12:25 AM
  • Hi

here is a WHS Forum Post from 2007 which appears to be the same problem I am encountering. Does this mean that WHS .NET version was somehow corrupted by the W7 update to my PC or that W7 update to my PC is incompatible with the WHS version. Which is correct and is the only solution to yet again go back to factory settings and manually install which version of .NET and any instructions as to how to do?  So after 3 years the same problem remains unresolved?

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/9b47bdf9-52b3-4ff4-af82-3c69ca5cccee  Runtime Error after Update

Response from Eugene Shvets MSFT in above forum:

"Our investigation showed that installing .NET 3.0 somehow causes ASP.NET to reference System.ServiceModel (possibly indirectly). Could you check if that version of System.ServiceModel is actually in the GAC? Which .NET version do you have installed? Could you try to reinstall that .NET version to see if that will fix the problem?"

How do I check that the version of System.ServiceModel is actually in the GAC? I have .NET versions 2.0 and 3.0 installed. Which version of .NET do you want me to reinstall?

.net 3.0

Reinstalling.NET 3.0 resolved the issue

I removed .NET 3.0 and the website worked again,

however I did install it again after this to see if a reinstall would also resolve the issue, which it did.

Friday, June 25, 2010 1:07 AM
  •  

THIS POST IS CLOSED AND TRANSFERRED TO A NEW POST:

Server Error in '/' Application. Runtime Error

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/90c4a16b-b9f0-43e3-8834-08215a6d4ce1

• Marked as answer by antfortas Tuesday, September 21, 2010 2:25 PM
    Friday, June 25, 2010 12:53 PM