Backdoor:Win32/Bifrose.EQ is being detected as a backdoor trojan virus, but I don't think it is. RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all,

Upon scanning my computer for viruses, or attempting to open up Defense Turret (Online) (an anti-cheating program used to open and run Tribes2, an online FPS that came out in 2001) it's telling me that OneCare has found potentially harmful or unwanted software on my computer. Below you can find the synopsis of the 'virus' that OneCare provided me:

Software: Backdoor:Win32/Bifrose.EQ
    Severity: Severe
    Category: Backdoor
    Action: Remove

Description: This program provides remote access to the computer it is installed on. (Learn more online)
    Category: Backdoor
    Advice: Remove this software immediately.
    Resources: C:\Dynamix\Tribes2\GameData\dt.exe

I've been playing Tribes2, and using Defense Turret (Online) (otherwise known as "dt.exe") for years now and I've never run into this sort of an issue until recently. If I choose to quarantine or remove Bifrose.EQ then I'm unable to use the Defense Turret (Online) program, and as a result I'm unable to play Tribes2. After clicking on the "Learn more online" link, it explains that this particular virus was discovered this past March of 2008. I really do believe that OneCare is wrong, because I doubt that the program "dt.exe" has been changed (Tribes2 isn't played by many people nowadays). What I do know is that OneCare has changed their opinion of Bifrose.EQ, and dt.exe. If you could please investigate this matter and possibly fill me in on whether or not I should be genuinely alarmed, that'd be great.

Thank you for your time,

Andrew
    Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:43 AM

Answers

All replies