none
Writer Freezes

Question

• I just installed Live Writer this morning. Setup went smoothly, my blog settings were downloaded, I changed my font size to 12 instead of 10.5 and I started writing my post. After inserting a hyperlink things got a little weird. Instead of moving down a line and starting a new paragraph when I hit enter it took me down about 4 lines. Thinking I had hit it more than once I pressed the up arrow and it took me back to the beginning of the document ahead of my initial paragraph. When I clicked back on my original paragraph I saw that it was in some kind of text box and noticed that the font was showing 10.5 again. Double clicking in the text box allowed me to enter text again but I still couldn't get a new paragraph. I tried to use the scroll bar on the side to scroll to the top of the post and writer stopped responding. I closed it and reopened. It ask if I wanted to recover and I said yes. I tried to move the scroll bar again and again it locked. I shut down the system, dumped all temporary files and restarted.

After the restart I opened writer again. Once again it crashed when I tried to scroll. Thinking the file was corrupt I dumped it and started a new post by posting the text from the old post in. I managed to start a new paragraph and was moving through it when it froze again.  I checked system resources and Writer was using 53% of the CPU but doing nothing.I searched on freezes and crashes and most involved auto tagging. I didn't auto tag anything. I inserted one hyperlink manually.

I'm running Vista and it is patched current.

Here is the log file from Writer:

WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00001,12-Feb-2011 06:21:51.107,"WLSetup check returned WLStatusOK",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00002,12-Feb-2011 06:21:51.599,"Migrating user settings...",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00003,12-Feb-2011 06:21:51.663,"Invalid version string was retrieved from InstrumentationSettings. Ignoring the version ",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00004,12-Feb-2011 06:21:51.663,"Invalid version string was retrieved from InstrumentationSettings. Ignoring the version ",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00005,12-Feb-2011 06:21:51.665,"User is opted out of CEIP",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00006,12-Feb-2011 06:21:51.840,"Using passport environment: Production",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00007,12-Feb-2011 06:21:51.840,"Starting Windows Live Writer 15.4.3508.1109",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00008,12-Feb-2011 06:21:51.840,".NET version: 2.0.50727.4206",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00009,12-Feb-2011 06:21:52.507,"Failed to load blog settings for: ",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00010,12-Feb-2011 06:21:52.508,"Default blog has invalid client type, ignoring blog.",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00011,12-Feb-2011 06:21:54.157,"Downloaded new cab file versioned 15.4.3503.930",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00012,12-Feb-2011 06:21:54.157,"Downloaded configuration resources are not newer than the current version.",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00013,12-Feb-2011 06:23:57.358,"Failed to load blog settings for: ",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00014,12-Feb-2011 06:23:57.358,"Default blog has invalid client type, ignoring blog.",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00015,12-Feb-2011 06:23:58.266,"499 499",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00016,12-Feb-2011 06:23:58.602,"UpdateSemanticHtmlPreviewAsyncOperation started for blog(40949975-93a0-40bc-adc8-4a0471fe7838)",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00017,12-Feb-2011 06:23:59.072,"Creating a readable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00018,12-Feb-2011 06:23:59.072,"Failed to create ribbon stream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat: hr = 80070002",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00019,12-Feb-2011 06:23:59.474,"Creating a readable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00020,12-Feb-2011 06:23:59.474,"Failed to create ribbon stream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat: hr = 80070002",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00021,12-Feb-2011 06:29:45.852,"Creating a writable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00022,12-Feb-2011 06:32:03.504,"Creating a writable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00023,12-Feb-2011 06:32:38.126,"Creating a writable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00024,12-Feb-2011 06:39:10.892,"Creating a writable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00025,12-Feb-2011 06:42:16.979,"Creating a writable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00026,12-Feb-2011 06:44:22.672,"Creating a writable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00027,12-Feb-2011 06:46:16.539,"Creating a writable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00028,12-Feb-2011 06:47:07.647,"Creating a writable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,None,00029,12-Feb-2011 06:48:07.988,"Creating a writable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,Fail,00030,12-Feb-2011 06:58:20.636,"Parent element shouldn't equal null! Selected element was: HTML","   at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
       at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.CoreServices.Diagnostics.LogFileTraceListener.Fail(String message)
       at System.Diagnostics.TraceInternal.Fail(String message)
       at System.Diagnostics.Trace.Assert(Boolean condition, String message)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.HtmlEditorSelection.get_SelectedTextRange()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.HtmlEditorSelection.get_SelectedMarkupRange()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.HtmlEditorControl.get_SelectedMarkupRange()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.PostHtmlEditing.BlogPostHtmlEditorControl.SetSelectedEditField()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.PostHtmlEditing.BlogPostHtmlEditorControl.BlogPostHtmlEditorControl_SelectionChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.HtmlEditorControl.OnSelectionChanged(EventArgs e, IHtmlEditorSelection newSelection, Boolean moveSelectionToFont)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.HtmlEditorControl.FireSelectionChanged()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.HtmlEditorControl.WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.IHtmlEditorComponentContext.set_Selection(IHtmlEditorSelection value)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.HtmlEditorControl.DocumentEvents_SelectionChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.Mshtml.HtmlDocumentEventRepeater.mshtml.HTMLDocumentEvents2.onselectionchange(IHTMLEventObj pEvtObj)
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at mshtml.IHTMLSelectionObject.empty()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.PostHtmlEditing.BlogPostHtmlEditorControl.OnPreHandleEvent(Int32 inEvtDispId, IHTMLEventObj pIEventObj)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.Mshtml.MshtmlEditor.WindowsLive.Writer.Mshtml.IHTMLEditDesignerRaw.PreHandleEvent(Int32 inEvtDispId, IHTMLEventObj pIEventObj)
       at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.CallWindowProc(IntPtr wndProc, IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DefWndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.Interop.Windows.User32.CallWindowProc(IntPtr lpWndProc, IntPtr hWnd, UInt32 uMsg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.CoreServices.WindowSubClasser.CallBaseWindowProc(IntPtr hWnd, UInt32 uMsg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.Mshtml.MshtmlControl.WndProcDelegate(IntPtr hWnd, UInt32 uMsg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
       at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.ApplicationFramework.SatelliteApplicationForm.Launcher.ThreadMain(Object[] parameters)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.CoreServices.Threading.ThreadStartWithParams.Run()
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()"
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.6512,Fail,00031,12-Feb-2011 06:58:20.686,"Parent element shouldn't equal null! Selected element was: HTML","   at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.CoreServices.Diagnostics.LogFileTraceListener.Fail(String message)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.Tables.TableEditingManager.ManageCommands()
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.PostHtmlEditing.BlogPostHtmlEditorControl.BlogPostHtmlEditorControl_SelectionChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.HtmlEditorControl.OnSelectionChanged(EventArgs e, IHtmlEditorSelection newSelection, Boolean moveSelectionToFont)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.HtmlEditorControl.WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.IHtmlEditorComponentContext.set_Selection(IHtmlEditorSelection value)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.HtmlEditor.HtmlEditorControl.DocumentEvents_SelectionChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.Mshtml.HtmlDocumentEventRepeater.mshtml.HTMLDocumentEvents2.onselectionchange(IHTMLEventObj pEvtObj)
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
       at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
       at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.PostHtmlEditing.BlogPostHtmlEditorControl.OnPreHandleEvent(Int32 inEvtDispId, IHTMLEventObj pIEventObj)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.Mshtml.MshtmlEditor.WindowsLive.Writer.Mshtml.IHTMLEditDesignerRaw.PreHandleEvent(Int32 inEvtDispId, IHTMLEventObj pIEventObj)
       at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.CallWindowProc(IntPtr wndProc, IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.Interop.Windows.User32.CallWindowProc(IntPtr lpWndProc, IntPtr hWnd, UInt32 uMsg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.CoreServices.WindowSubClasser.CallBaseWindowProc(IntPtr hWnd, UInt32 uMsg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.Mshtml.MshtmlControl.WndProcDelegate(IntPtr hWnd, UInt32 uMsg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.ApplicationFramework.SatelliteApplicationForm.Launcher.ThreadMain(Object[] parameters)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.3684,None,00001,12-Feb-2011 07:01:52.859,"WLSetup check returned WLStatusOK",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.3684,None,00002,12-Feb-2011 07:01:53.021,"User is opted out of CEIP",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.3684,None,00003,12-Feb-2011 07:01:53.099,"Using passport environment: Production",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.3684,None,00004,12-Feb-2011 07:01:53.099,"Starting Windows Live Writer 15.4.3508.1109",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.3684,None,00005,12-Feb-2011 07:01:53.099,".NET version: 2.0.50727.4206",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.3684,None,00006,12-Feb-2011 07:01:58.926,"499 499",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.3684,None,00007,12-Feb-2011 07:01:59.340,"Creating a readable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.3684,None,00008,12-Feb-2011 07:02:13.394,"Creating a writable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.3684,Fail,00009,12-Feb-2011 07:03:12.428,"Parent element shouldn't equal null! Selected element was: HTML","   at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
       at WindowsLive.Writer.PostEditor.PostHtmlEditing.BlogPostHtmlEditorControl.SetSelectedEditField()
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.3684,Fail,00010,12-Feb-2011 07:03:12.430,"Parent element shouldn't equal null! Selected element was: HTML","   at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.2684,None,00001,12-Feb-2011 07:32:27.107,"WLSetup check returned WLStatusOK",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.2684,None,00002,12-Feb-2011 07:32:27.671,"User is opted out of CEIP",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.2684,None,00003,12-Feb-2011 07:32:27.890,"Using passport environment: Production",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.2684,None,00004,12-Feb-2011 07:32:27.890,"Starting Windows Live Writer 15.4.3508.1109",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.2684,None,00005,12-Feb-2011 07:32:27.890,".NET version: 2.0.50727.4206",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.2684,None,00006,12-Feb-2011 07:32:34.869,"499 499",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.2684,None,00007,12-Feb-2011 07:32:35.865,"Creating a readable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.2684,Fail,00008,12-Feb-2011 07:33:32.082,"Parent element shouldn't equal null! Selected element was: HTML","   at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.2684,Fail,00009,12-Feb-2011 07:33:32.084,"Parent element shouldn't equal null! Selected element was: HTML","   at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.5984,None,00001,12-Feb-2011 07:35:18.201,"WLSetup check returned WLStatusOK",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.5984,None,00002,12-Feb-2011 07:35:18.316,"User is opted out of CEIP",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.5984,None,00003,12-Feb-2011 07:35:18.367,"Using passport environment: Production",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.5984,None,00004,12-Feb-2011 07:35:18.367,"Starting Windows Live Writer 15.4.3508.1109",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.5984,None,00005,12-Feb-2011 07:35:18.367,".NET version: 2.0.50727.4206",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.5984,None,00006,12-Feb-2011 07:35:22.174,"499 499",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.5984,None,00007,12-Feb-2011 07:35:22.496,"Creating a readable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.5984,None,00008,12-Feb-2011 07:35:35.119,"Creating a writable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.5984,None,00009,12-Feb-2011 07:36:10.211,"Creating a writable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.5984,None,00010,12-Feb-2011 07:36:11.755,"Creating a writable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.5984,None,00011,12-Feb-2011 07:41:18.605,"Creating a writable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.5984,None,00012,12-Feb-2011 07:41:22.836,"Creating a writable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.5984,None,00013,12-Feb-2011 07:41:31.371,"Creating a writable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.5984,Fail,00014,12-Feb-2011 07:44:48.180,"Parent element shouldn't equal null! Selected element was: HTML","   at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.5984,Fail,00015,12-Feb-2011 07:44:48.182,"Parent element shouldn't equal null! Selected element was: HTML","   at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo)
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.2404,None,00001,12-Feb-2011 07:52:49.951,"WLSetup check returned WLStatusOK",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.2404,None,00002,12-Feb-2011 07:52:50.074,"User is opted out of CEIP",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.2404,None,00003,12-Feb-2011 07:52:50.143,"Using passport environment: Production",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.2404,None,00004,12-Feb-2011 07:52:50.143,"Starting Windows Live Writer 15.4.3508.1109",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.2404,None,00005,12-Feb-2011 07:52:50.143,".NET version: 2.0.50727.4206",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.2404,None,00006,12-Feb-2011 07:52:54.973,"499 499",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.2404,None,00007,12-Feb-2011 07:52:55.334,"Creating a readable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.2404,None,00008,12-Feb-2011 07:53:06.616,"Creating a writable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.2404,None,00009,12-Feb-2011 07:53:33.716,"Creating a writable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.2404,None,00010,12-Feb-2011 07:53:38.980,"Creating a writable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.2404,None,00011,12-Feb-2011 07:56:59.584,"Creating a writable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""
    WindowsLiveWriter,1.2404,None,00012,12-Feb-2011 08:01:09.805,"Creating a writable ribbon istream for C:\Users\Chief\AppData\Roaming\Windows Live Writer\Ribbon.dat",""

Saturday, February 12, 2011 2:23 PM