none
Garbage HTML in posts

General discussion

• We have all seen it; anyone that has looked at many posts will see it. Many posts get HTML showing in the post when viewed normally where there should not be HTML (unless HTML is the subject). In other words, we see something like:

<g class="gr_ gr_4 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="4" id="4">Im</g> trying to process the data from tblTempData to tblPData using the ff <g class="gr_ gr_5 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="5" id="5">sql</g>.

Members are beginning to complain within the threads but I don't see anything in this form about that. Sometime members say they don't know how to fix it, that they don't see it when they write the post.

It would help to at least know how the member responsible for the post can prevent it and can remove it when it happens. Hopefully the bug can be fixed but please at least tell us the temporary workarounds. Is it something moderators can fix in posts with the problem?

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Saturday, January 6, 2018 8:42 PM

All replies

• As far as I know it is the editor (or possibly browser) they're using that injects some foreign HTML (or at least unknown) to the forums editor. I don't think there's any fix method other than manual edit. As to the cause, may need to know more from the users that are generating these type posts.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, January 6, 2018 9:00 PM
  • If it is the browser then Microsoft can determine that easier than we can. I have not seen it happen to any post I have created. I hope they can develop some determination of the circumstances. At least one member says they cannot fix it but perhaps they found a way. It would help to know what to tell them to help them fix it if that is relevant.

I did not mention the problem of all the extraneous HTML in the HTML that the editor creates. I know it happens to me using Edge and the forum's editor. If that problem is related to this problem then that other problem should be mentioned too but I have seen no evidence they are related.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Saturday, January 6, 2018 9:41 PM
  • I believe most of the garbage HTML is the result of using an app called Grammarly to compose the post. I used to see it in the TechNet Wiki all the time, until people realized it added a great deal of unsupported styles to the HTML of the articles. The classes, styles, tags, or keywords beginning with "gr_" are the clue.

Edit: It seems to be a browser plug-in.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Saturday, January 6, 2018 10:29 PM