Cant start Active Directory Certificate Service error code 939523595 RRS feed

• Question

• When I try and start the "Active Directory Certificate Service" I get the following error. "Windows could not start the Active Directory Certificate Services on Local Computer, along with a server specific error code 939523595"

Event viewer is riddled with errors such as the ones below:

1. Active Directory Certificate Services did not start: Unable to initialize the database connection for HELIOS-CA.  Error 0xc80001f5 (ESE: -501).

2. certsrv.exe (2400) Database recovery/restore failed with unexpected error -501.

3. certsrv.exe (2400) Corruption was detected during soft recovery in logfile C:\Windows\system32\CertLog\edb.log. The failing checksum record is located at position 9:278. Data not matching the log-file fill pattern first appeared in sector 10. This logfile has been damaged and is unusable.

4. certsrv.exe (2400) The log range read from the file "C:\Windows\system32\CertLog\edb.log" at offset 4608 (0x0000000000001200) for 512 (0x00000200) bytes failed verification due to a corrupted checksum log record. The read operation will fail with error -501 (0xfffffe0b).  If this condition persists then please restore the logfile from a previous backup.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this? I have already tried going through and removing and adding the Domain Name setup but it did not resolve the issue. I even dropped my domain at one point and picked it back up. I am using a *.homserver.com domain not a special one.

Friday, May 13, 2011 4:50 AM

All replies

• On Fri, 13 May 2011 04:50:34 +0000, Joviannm wrote:

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this? I have already tried going through and removing and adding the Domain Name setup but it did not resolve the issue. I even dropped my domain at one point and picked it back up. I am using a *.homserver.com domain not a special one.

The obvious problem is that your AD CS database has somehow been corrupted.
    You can try to repair/recover the database by using the esentutl.exe tool:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930832

No guarantees here, you may be facing a restore from backup, assuming you
    have one, or a reinstall.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    I am the computer your mother warned you about.

Friday, May 13, 2011 3:04 PM
  • Thanks for the information, looks like a reinstall will be it. The whole thing started when my raid array failed with the backup of my server. Unless anyone else has any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for the information.

Friday, May 13, 2011 11:19 PM