Swapping license key to another comp RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have a retail copy of Win 7 64bit installed on my comp.  Can I de-activate the license on my comp and activate it on my son's comp 32bit.  Reason for this I bought an OEM 64bit copy for his comp, but forgot I installed 32bit on his comp.  I would then activate my copy with the OEM key.
    Friday, December 2, 2011 7:58 PM

Answers

• Since it is still sealed return it for a retail copy.  The key in the retail copy will activate either the 32bit or 64bit version.  The OEM product key should not be used unless you are building a new computer for sale to a third party.  Please read the SB license that is printed on the outside sleeve to verify what I am saying.  According to the terms of the SB license you do not qualify for its use.  You may be a do-it-yourselfer, but you are not a system builder as defined in the license.  Even if you build a computer for a family member you are still not a system builder.  Please review the item on Newegg and read the details tab for the item.  It says,

Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=368&name=Operating-Systems

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.

Friday, December 2, 2011 10:55 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• No.  You cannot use his OEM key on your computer.  OEM licenses are not transferrable.  If you purchased a 64 bit OEM System Builder copy it only came with one dvd (x64).  How did you install 32bit Windows with it?  How do you know you installed 32bit and not 64bit?  What does the System Properties page say?  Press winkey+pause/bread to bring up the System Properties page.

Note:  OEM System Builder copies are not intended for end users.  The SB license only permits installation on a computer to be sold to a third party.  The correct license for an end user is retail.  From the SB license:

2. Authorized Distribution and Acceptance. To distribute the Software or Hardware in this Pack, you must be a System Builder
    and accept this license. “System Builder” means an original equipment manufacturer, an assembler, a refurbisher, or a software
    pre-installer that sells the Customer System(s) to a third party.

Friday, December 2, 2011 10:02 PM
    Answerer
  • I didn't make myself clear I guess.  The OEM copy has not been opened it's new and sealed.  I build my own computers.  I've been using OEM software for over 10 years now.  Also, I installed the 32bit win7 from a download from microsoft website giving me 30 days to activate.

Friday, December 2, 2011 10:12 PM
  • Since it is still sealed return it for a retail copy.  The key in the retail copy will activate either the 32bit or 64bit version.  The OEM product key should not be used unless you are building a new computer for sale to a third party.  Please read the SB license that is printed on the outside sleeve to verify what I am saying.  According to the terms of the SB license you do not qualify for its use.  You may be a do-it-yourselfer, but you are not a system builder as defined in the license.  Even if you build a computer for a family member you are still not a system builder.  Please review the item on Newegg and read the details tab for the item.  It says,

Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=368&name=Operating-Systems

Friday, December 2, 2011 10:55 PM
    Answerer
  • Well, I just finished reading a few extensive articals written over the past 2 years about use of OEM SB software and it appears Microsoft has changed its policy concerning use by the DIY builder.  With XP and Vista Microsoft allowed this practice and even issued documentation.  With the release of Windows 7 Microsoft has wiped all traces of previous documentation allowing use by DIY builders.  Good thing I didn't open it and I'll see if I can exchange it for retail.  Thanks Cbarnhorst you caused me to do some reading and probably saved me some money in the process.
    Friday, December 2, 2011 11:40 PM
  • You're welcome.
    Friday, December 2, 2011 11:45 PM
    Answerer