Synchronizing folders RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to WHS, having just installed this and I have (at least) a couple of questions. I also apologize, the WHS Bible I ordered from Amazon is delayed and won't be here until next week, so I have done little research on this.

My understanding is that I can store our family photos, music, etc. on WHS and then we can share it easily between the various computers in our house. So far so good.  To test this I copied some photos over and now I have a few questions.

1. I looked (via remote desktop) at the folder structure on my server and I couldn't tell exactly where the photos was located. ON the D;\ drive, two folders One named "Folders" and one named "Shares" seems to have approximately the same amount of data in them - 25GB and 23GB respectively, which is about the same as the 25GB of photos I copied over.

2. What I am thinking of is to set up online backup (Carbonite) to back up the files on the server, so that I have a backup somewhere. Does anyone have any experience with this?

3. Now for an interesting problem. Once I looked into this, there was something called "Sync" on the shared folder. What I think this means is that somehwo I can create a local copy of the folder, so that when I want to work with stuff in the folder, I'm not subject to network transmission delays, and also that I can work with the data on the server while away from home.  That sounds great, I'd really like to do that.  But I seem to have some problems to do this. PLease refer to the following image for the rest of this discussion.

This (http://i46.tinypic.com/2dum1xk.jpg) is a picture of the Shared Photos folder on my desktop. Note that the Sample Pictures icon does have a Synch symbol on it. However, none of the other folders have this. Also, all except the Sample Pictures Icon, are greyed out when I diconnect from my netowrk. Here (http://i45.tinypic.com/1hfaly.jpg) is a picture of the properties of the Sample pictures and another folder. Note that the Sample pictures folder has an extra tab ("Location") that the other folder does not have. Can somone throw light on this?  Thanks!
    Friday, January 8, 2010 3:10 PM

Answers

• I'm new to WHS, having just installed this and I have (at least) a couple of questions. I also apologize, the WHS Bible I ordered from Amazon is delayed and won't be here until next week, so I have done little research on this.

My understanding is that I can store our family photos, music, etc. on WHS and then we can share it easily between the various computers in our house. So far so good.  To test this I copied some photos over and now I have a few questions.

1. I looked (via remote desktop) at the folder structure on my server and I couldn't tell exactly where the photos was located.

FYI, logging into the server desktop is unsupported and why there is big warning about not using it when you do.

ON the D;\ drive, two folders One named "Folders" and one named "Shares" seems to have approximately the same amount of data in them - 25GB and 23GB respectively, which is about the same as the 25GB of photos I copied over.

2. What I am thinking of is to set up online backup (Carbonite) to back up the files on the server, so that I have a backup somewhere. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I've never used Carbonite, but I can tell you that installing any apps from the server desktop is unsupported (since logging into the server desktop is unsupported).  As for add-ins with that functionality, Amazon used to have a Jungle Disk add-in for WHS, but I don't know if they still do or not.

3. Now for an interesting problem. Once I looked into this, there was something called "Sync" on the shared folder. What I think this means is that somehwo I can create a local copy of the folder, so that when I want to work with stuff in the folder, I'm not subject to network transmission delays, and also that I can work with the data on the server while away from home.  That sounds great, I'd really like to do that.  But I seem to have some problems to do this. PLease refer to the following image for the rest of this discussion.

This (http://i46.tinypic.com/2dum1xk.jpg) is a picture of the Shared Photos folder on my desktop. Note that the Sample Pictures icon does have a Synch symbol on it. However, none of the other folders have this. Also, all except the Sample Pictures Icon, are greyed out when I diconnect from my netowrk. Here (http://i45.tinypic.com/1hfaly.jpg) is a picture of the properties of the Sample pictures and another folder. Note that the Sample pictures folder has an extra tab ("Location") that the other folder does not have. Can somone throw light on this?  Thanks!
    I've never used Sync Center on Vista/7, but I assume it's similar to Offline Files on XP.  If so, you should avoid using it on WHS as other users have had issues with it due to the way WHS handles file storage.
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 7:18 PM

All replies

• Did I ask this in the wrong forum? Should I ask one question at a time?
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 3:20 PM

1. I looked (via remote desktop) at the folder structure on my server and I couldn't tell exactly where the photos was located.

FYI, logging into the server desktop is unsupported and why there is big warning about not using it when you do.

ON the D;\ drive, two folders One named "Folders" and one named "Shares" seems to have approximately the same amount of data in them - 25GB and 23GB respectively, which is about the same as the 25GB of photos I copied over.

I've never used Carbonite, but I can tell you that installing any apps from the server desktop is unsupported (since logging into the server desktop is unsupported).  As for add-ins with that functionality, Amazon used to have a Jungle Disk add-in for WHS, but I don't know if they still do or not.

I've never used Sync Center on Vista/7, but I assume it's similar to Offline Files on XP.  If so, you should avoid using it on WHS as other users have had issues with it due to the way WHS handles file storage.
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 7:18 PM
  • *facepalm*
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 8:39 PM