My 1st WHS setup... RRS feed

• Question

• and everything has gone smoothly so far...my question is can i plug a USB drive into the Server just to transfer data to it or does it have to done over the network?  i have 1TB of TS files i need to get to my server and i'm thinking that directly connected it would take less time
    Monday, September 15, 2008 6:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Welcome to Windows Home Server :-)
    Although you can, copying data other then over the network is not supported.

But whatever you do, just make sure to always copy data to WHS through the server shares (i.e  \\MYSERVER\{sharename}).
    Do not copy data directly to one of the directories on the server drives. This will create all kind of problems.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, September 15, 2008 8:54 PM
  • Feel free to use the server if you have the drive. Though not a supported operation, you can basically do anything you can do on a normal Windows machine. Better, if you have multiple computers and ample network bandwidth, you can probably have multiple computers ripping your CDs. Maybe split up the ripping among your computers to do locally and then put them onto the network later so they aren't competing for bandwidth at the same time.
    • Marked as answer by ncinsguy Tuesday, September 16, 2008 3:41 PM
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 4:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Welcome to Windows Home Server :-)
    Although you can, copying data other then over the network is not supported.

But whatever you do, just make sure to always copy data to WHS through the server shares (i.e  \\MYSERVER\{sharename}).
    Do not copy data directly to one of the directories on the server drives. This will create all kind of problems.

No home server like Home Server
    Monday, September 15, 2008 8:54 PM
  • thanks...it gonna take forever to get those files to my serve...lol
    Monday, September 15, 2008 9:49 PM
  • i have to re-rip all my cds since i lost them when a drive failed a couple of months ago...should i use the server's media player or one of my pc's and make the rip folder one of the share folders on the server?
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 2:39 AM
  • Feel free to use the server if you have the drive. Though not a supported operation, you can basically do anything you can do on a normal Windows machine. Better, if you have multiple computers and ample network bandwidth, you can probably have multiple computers ripping your CDs. Maybe split up the ripping among your computers to do locally and then put them onto the network later so they aren't competing for bandwidth at the same time.
    • Marked as answer by ncinsguy Tuesday, September 16, 2008 3:41 PM
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 4:42 AM