Trying to get to he quaratined files to delet them RRS feed

• Question

•  

I go to the virus page and hit the quarantine list and i get a little page it says the virus and spyware encountered a problem try again later or contact support , contacting support is ?????? can't find it . cant get to my quaratined files cant find a FAQ that covers this any ideas anyone
    Saturday, April 12, 2008 9:48 PM

Answers

• This error message is caused by a corrupt file in the Quarantine. You can fix it by deleting the contents of the “Entries” folder (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\OneCare Protection\Quarantine\ Entries). If you want to see the contents of the Quarantine, you can then restore each entry individually from the Recycle Bin. If you do this, you’ll find that only the corrupt file throws up the error message. Since the error message is modal and closes the Quarantine window, you’ll then have to return to the “Entries” folder and delete the corrupt file manually. The original post dealing with this problem is here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2810559&SiteID=2

GreginMich

Saturday, April 12, 2008 11:19 PM

All replies

• This error message is caused by a corrupt file in the Quarantine. You can fix it by deleting the contents of the “Entries” folder (C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\OneCare Protection\Quarantine\ Entries). If you want to see the contents of the Quarantine, you can then restore each entry individually from the Recycle Bin. If you do this, you’ll find that only the corrupt file throws up the error message. Since the error message is modal and closes the Quarantine window, you’ll then have to return to the “Entries” folder and delete the corrupt file manually. The original post dealing with this problem is here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2810559&SiteID=2

GreginMich

Saturday, April 12, 2008 11:19 PM
  •  

I do not have that file path on my computer, I have tried to search for files under one care and microsoft, I have tried going in drive c and looking for one care in the folders there, no luck so far I will keep trying.I have tried malware search too with negative results but something keeps running the processor when i am doing nothing and using maybe 50 percent capacity
    Sunday, April 13, 2008 12:18 PM
  • Go ahead and contact support for help with this, then, Michael.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Sunday, April 13, 2008 12:34 PM
  • I think the problem you’re having in following the path is my fault, Michael: I failed to mention that “Application Data” is a hidden folder. You will need to open Control Panel, and then Folder Options. Click the “View” tab and then click the “Show hidden files and folders” radio button, then “Apply” and “OK”. The path to the “Entries” folder should now be accessible. Sorry about the omission, and thank you for bringing it to my attention.

GreginMich

PS

I also realized belatedly that the path I gave for the “Entries” folder is specific to Windows XP, and I have been unable to locate the full path for Vista. It should be in the “ProgramData” folder, which is also a hidden folder. I will try to pin down the Vista path and post it later.

PPS

I’ll have to venture a guess that the Vista path should simply be: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\OneCare Protection\Quarantine\Entries. As far as I am able to determine, you can make this path visible in Vista with the same Control Panel settings described above for XP.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 2:01 PM