none
GPS Trail... How do I clear it from my map??? Anyone? Anyone? Buler? RRS feed

• Question

• Help says to select the GPS trail and press Delete...

OK I guess im stupid, because I cant figure out how to select the stupid trail....

hmmmmgrrrrr

Thursday, October 13, 2011 11:13 PM

All replies

• Streets & Trips 2011 that is...
    Friday, October 14, 2011 1:02 AM
  • Hi Mark - this post may help...or at least give you the answer your looking for:  http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/streetsandtrips/thread/2920fedd-9910-410e-afbb-71ad81bf03fb

Don't know if there have been any updates since Marvin's post.

Keith O'Brien
    Friday, October 14, 2011 1:02 AM
  • I don't know if what I am about to suggest will actually work but I see no reason why it wouldn't.  It is a little complicated but someone try it to see.  I might try it tomorrow.

1 - Export your map as a GPX file.  [Data>Export to GPX file]

2 - Open that file in Excel or other spreadsheet application and find the rows of lat/long coordinates that relate to the GPS trail and delete them.

3 - Save that file as a renamed GPX file.

4 - Import it into S&T.

I am guessing that there will not be a GPX trail but your Stops and Pushpins (shorn of details other than name and coordinates) will be.

Friday, October 14, 2011 2:17 AM
  • OK, I tried this out on myself.

The GPX file when opened in Excel reveals a lot of informaion: lat/long of course but also time, elevation, and the number of satellites.  There were about 1500 rows for a half-hour trip.  I deleted those and saved as an XLSX.

I then imported the XLSX file (Data>Import Data Wizard).  It showed the Stops as Pushins which I coverted to Stops (Right-click on Pushpin set and select Add pushpins as stops) and S&T calculated the route.  This slightly different than what I wrote last night because I had forgotten that you cannot save a file as a GPX file in Excel, so it has to be XLSX or XLS.

GPS Trail gone!

Note, however, that the GPS Trail data could be useful.  For instance, if there was a point along the way that you wanted to convert to a pushpin or a route stop, you could do so by copying the lat/long coordinates onto a row where the stop coordinates are and that will be recognized as a pushpin when you import the XLSX file as per above.  I know some people have wondered about how to do that in the past so perhaps this is a solution.

P. S.  I note that the time stamps assigned to each data point are inaccurate:  the same the same time appears in several successive data points then "jumps" ahead to a new time and repeats that for a few rows.  Since it is known that S&T takes a GPS fix once per second, we must know these time stamps are incorrect.

One thing you can do is to import all the GPS-read points and show them as pushpins.  From that you can calculate your actual speed between any pair of data points by using the Measurement Tool and a little math.

• Edited by Philip K1 Friday, October 14, 2011 6:09 PM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 5:10 PM