Sync Not Completed error - files in meshed folder roots not synching. RRS feed

• Question

• My wife and I have a "Household" folder set up to share documents that we both need access to on a regular basis. 

Some of these documents are in subfolders, but a few others exist as files in the "Household" folder it self.  One of these is the "Grocery List" file.  For testing, we have both an RTF and a TXT file in the folder.  A few other document files - DOCX, PDF and one PNG image file are also in the root of this folder.

None of these files are synching (I'd expect that Mesh would synch files and folders, then the files in the root folder, followed by files in the subfolders).

I've stopped synching the folder, and re-selected it for mobile synch, but that hasn't helped it past this obstacle.  When I attempt to synch, I get the following error:

Sync Not Completed
         Some data did not get synchronized.
         Please sync Live Mesh again.

Documents placed in the folder on the mobile device *are* synched up to my PC.  I did so this morning with a DOCX.

I presently have 6 subfolders in the directory that have been downloaded to the mobile device (a Sprint HTC Mogul).  I have 9 folders in the same folder on my PC.

I guess I will just copy them each out of the "Household" folder and re-add them one-by one to see if one of the folders contents is causing a problem - but it'd be good if Mesh Mobile were better at letting me know what the problem is - and if it were better able to work-around it.

Anyone else have a similar issue or a work-around?
    "We're all in it together, kid." - Harry Tuttle, Heating Engineer
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:00 PM

Answers

• That seems to have fixed the issue.  Here's the process I used:

1) Move contents of Meshed folder to temp folder on desktop.
        2) Delete Meshed folder from Live Desktop.
        3) Delete folders on mobile device.
        4) Sync mobile device (after this you won't see the folder in your list of Mesh folders.
        5) Re-create meshed folder and synch with devices.
        6) Sync mobile device again (so you can see the new folder).
        7) Copy files from desktop temp folder back into the Mesh folder.
        8) Add members if required.

The folders that were giving me this problem were two of the oldest Mesh folders I have.  Not sure what happened, but deleting and re-creating seems to have fixed the issue.  Time will tell.

• Marked as answer by Bleak Morn Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:01 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:00 PM

All replies

• i think that it would be a great idea to file a bug on this problem.

How to Submit Bugs and Live Mesh Logs

Since it seems to be working fine on the PCs, there would appear to be some issue you are encountering with the Mobile side. The files that are synchronizing, do they update in both directions (mobile to mesh), while some files and folders are failing to update?
    -steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 1:55 PM
  • I'll submit a bug on this since it's been an issue for quite a while with me.

To test it I tried moving my files to another folder - the "Household" file is empty on the desktop.

I tried synching on the mobile and got the same error I've been getting.

Then I tried emptying the folder on the mobile as well and it still downloaded a bunch of folders and their contents.

I may end up killing the folder in Live Desktop - then trying to sync everything to see if I can get to a stable baseline before re-adding my files to see where the problem happens.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:03 PM
  • So I ended up completely deleting the folder from my Mesh Desktop, and deleting all of the folders I could find with that name from my device, then doing a hard reset.

Now it's at least an empty folder everywhere.  About to try adding files and folders to see when/if the issue crops up.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:24 PM
  • Looking forward to reading the results.
    -steve
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 2:25 PM
  • That seems to have fixed the issue.  Here's the process I used:

1) Move contents of Meshed folder to temp folder on desktop.
        2) Delete Meshed folder from Live Desktop.
        3) Delete folders on mobile device.
        4) Sync mobile device (after this you won't see the folder in your list of Mesh folders.
        5) Re-create meshed folder and synch with devices.
        6) Sync mobile device again (so you can see the new folder).
        7) Copy files from desktop temp folder back into the Mesh folder.
        8) Add members if required.

The folders that were giving me this problem were two of the oldest Mesh folders I have.  Not sure what happened, but deleting and re-creating seems to have fixed the issue.  Time will tell.

• Marked as answer by Bleak Morn Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:01 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 9:00 PM
  • Thanks for the update. If you get a chance to submit a bug with logs, that would still be helpful.
    -steve
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 12:50 PM