Need Guidance on organizing BUs, Sites and Sales Territory RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I am new to CRM and I am studying to implement CRM in my company.

My company has major work in India, State1 i.e. Gujarat. Also there are service type of sales in Out of India. But 80% work is in India.

During my study on how to design structure in CRM, so that my implementation is not complex and effective enough.

State1 users doesn't need to see State2 Records. Except exceptional case where I can create a team and the user can share a record.

Rest of India BU I created in case my company start working in state other than state1 and state2, it will be used till the work in that state is not big enough to create separate BU for that.

For Rest of World BU, My Company is not planning to use CRM Outside of India for now. SO I am planning to create the root BU for that.

For now my doubts are,

1. The structure of BU I am thinking is simple enough and not complex to implement. Or I should create just India and Rest of Word BU and Sales territories under it and skip the state BUs.

2. What is the exact purpose of Sites. What benefits/limitations I will have if I create Sites. And how many sites I need. I am not able to get much information on Sites on internet.

3. Marketing and Sales teams are separate. Marketing team works on leads. But, sometimes the sales people also create leads. Also I need to separate the inside sales and sales. So can all this properly implement using teams.

Your expert guidance on above points will be of great help. Pl. provide me references where I can learn more on this.

Thanks

• Edited by MittalPatel Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:01 AM
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:00 AM

Answers

• This is a very complex question.

The biggest thing I can say is that you can't rely too heavily on org charts when creating your security structure in CRM.  It's not the reporting structure that matters as much as the security structure you want to model in the application.   A lot of times if you are replacing another system with CRM you can start with the security structure in the old app and the consult the business to see if there need is for the same thing or something else.

Jamie

Jamie Miley

Check out RBA Today!

Check out my about.me profile!
    http://mileyja.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:43 PM
  • You have to remember the difference in how they work. CRM Security Roles are based primary on Business units and the user/team owner ship and what BU they belong to in the hierarchy.  You can only assign roles to users or teams.  I am not sure that I would use Sales Territory as a part of my security model unless you are creating BU's to match the name of your sales territories.

Jamie Miley

Check out RBA Today!

Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 1:27 PM
  • Functional groups are groups comprised of people that do similar things.

Example 1: Outbound Salespeople and Inbound Salespeople both interact with potential customers in the hopes that they will buy something. Their methods and audiences are a little different (Outbound visits them in person and primarily focuses on new customers whereas Inbound focuses on existing customers and calls them on the phone) but regardless, both types are still Salespeople. So, they would be organized like this:

Sales

Outbound Sales     Inbound Sales

Example 2: Software, Hardware, and Help Desk professionals all help people resolve issues they have with or related to their computers. Software people fix issues with programs. Hardware people fix issues with physical components of their computer or related components. Help Desk people try to determine if it is a issue with the software or hardware OR the user just needs training (and there is no system issue.) So, they would be organized like this:

Information Technology (IT)

Software             Hardware             Help Desk

Where they are are doing ^these things (India, the Moon, bottom of the Ocean) or where the people are the are selling to / helping (northern Japan or southern Japan)....that is immaterial from a Business Unit perspective. Your India / Rest of the World designation *seems* to be more like Territories to me...

• Proposed as answer by meenxi Saturday, January 25, 2014 8:36 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by meenxi Saturday, January 25, 2014 8:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jamie MileyModerator Saturday, February 7, 2015 5:23 PM
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:43 PM
  • Given that Business Units are related to security (aka visibility), I tend to organize Business Units into functional groups. For example, you could have Salespeople on the Moon but they are still Salespeople. They still probably need to do the same sorts of activities as Salespeople in India, etc. Marketing people could be at the bottom of the ocean but they are still Marketing people. Etc. Etc.

Sites are the physical locations where they work and are not tied to security. This is literally where you indicate your regional offices (India, the Moon, bottom of the ocean, etc.)

Territories are geographical boundaries specified by your organization and are solely for Salespeople. For example, a Salesperson based in the Moon office could have a Territory in southern Japan. Another Salesperson based in the India office could have a Territory in northern Japan. A Marketing person based in the Bottom of the Ocean office doesn't have a Territory because they market to the entire universe. Etc. Etc.

Hope that helps...

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 8:37 PM
  • P.S. when a business unit is created, a default team of the same name is created and automatically contains everyone that is in the business unit. So, what you wanted to accomplish with team, you still can; just make them into business units to get those teams. :)
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:59 PM

All replies

• This is a very complex question.

The biggest thing I can say is that you can't rely too heavily on org charts when creating your security structure in CRM.  It's not the reporting structure that matters as much as the security structure you want to model in the application.   A lot of times if you are replacing another system with CRM you can start with the security structure in the old app and the consult the business to see if there need is for the same thing or something else.

Jamie

Jamie Miley

Check out RBA Today!

Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 6:43 PM
  • Given that Business Units are related to security (aka visibility), I tend to organize Business Units into functional groups. For example, you could have Salespeople on the Moon but they are still Salespeople. They still probably need to do the same sorts of activities as Salespeople in India, etc. Marketing people could be at the bottom of the ocean but they are still Marketing people. Etc. Etc.

Sites are the physical locations where they work and are not tied to security. This is literally where you indicate your regional offices (India, the Moon, bottom of the ocean, etc.)

Territories are geographical boundaries specified by your organization and are solely for Salespeople. For example, a Salesperson based in the Moon office could have a Territory in southern Japan. Another Salesperson based in the India office could have a Territory in northern Japan. A Marketing person based in the Bottom of the Ocean office doesn't have a Territory because they market to the entire universe. Etc. Etc.

Hope that helps...

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 8:37 PM
  • Thank you for your guidance.

I was confused, and lately I am thinking of having only two business units, India and Rest of World. I should skip State level Business Units, and instead  separate with Sales territory and teams.

Related to Sites I am still not clear and I am thinking State1 and State2 as sites as they are physical locations.

for your quote "Given that Business Units are related to security (aka visibility), I tend to organize Business Units into functional groups."

Can you elaborate more and give me some real life examples. 

Thank you.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 9:10 AM
  • You have to remember the difference in how they work. CRM Security Roles are based primary on Business units and the user/team owner ship and what BU they belong to in the hierarchy.  You can only assign roles to users or teams.  I am not sure that I would use Sales Territory as a part of my security model unless you are creating BU's to match the name of your sales territories.

Jamie Miley

Check out RBA Today!

Linked-In Profile
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Wednesday, January 22, 2014 1:27 PM
  • Functional groups are groups comprised of people that do similar things.

Example 1: Outbound Salespeople and Inbound Salespeople both interact with potential customers in the hopes that they will buy something. Their methods and audiences are a little different (Outbound visits them in person and primarily focuses on new customers whereas Inbound focuses on existing customers and calls them on the phone) but regardless, both types are still Salespeople. So, they would be organized like this:

Sales

Outbound Sales     Inbound Sales

Example 2: Software, Hardware, and Help Desk professionals all help people resolve issues they have with or related to their computers. Software people fix issues with programs. Hardware people fix issues with physical components of their computer or related components. Help Desk people try to determine if it is a issue with the software or hardware OR the user just needs training (and there is no system issue.) So, they would be organized like this:

Information Technology (IT)

Software             Hardware             Help Desk

Where they are are doing ^these things (India, the Moon, bottom of the Ocean) or where the people are the are selling to / helping (northern Japan or southern Japan)....that is immaterial from a Business Unit perspective. Your India / Rest of the World designation *seems* to be more like Territories to me...

• Proposed as answer by meenxi Saturday, January 25, 2014 8:36 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by meenxi Saturday, January 25, 2014 8:37 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jamie MileyModerator Saturday, February 7, 2015 5:23 PM
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:43 PM
  • P.S. when a business unit is created, a default team of the same name is created and automatically contains everyone that is in the business unit. So, what you wanted to accomplish with team, you still can; just make them into business units to get those teams. :)
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 7:59 PM
  • One question I have is, When I read lines like this

"If your Microsoft Dynamics CRM organization is structured around departments or divisions that have separate products, customers, and marketing lists, you might want to create business units. " I get confused...

E.g. if my company is dealing with products from "Microsoft", "IBM" or "Adobe". And they are interested to view separate sales vendor wise as well as combined sales. And also one sales team deals in all vendors, and customer can purchase products from various Vendor in one invoice.

Also note, there will be separate campaign, Discounts or scheme  product vendor wise.

So in this case, do you think separating Business Units Product Vendor wise is good idea? or Sales territory is better way.

I am not sure if sales territory required because one sales person can deal with any of the vendor's product.

Any suggestion?

• Edited by meenxi Saturday, February 1, 2014 7:06 AM
    Friday, January 31, 2014 7:14 AM
  • Sorry I'm just circling back. In the quoted text, the keyword there is "might". ;)

Since you can have combined sales and one sales team deals with all vendors, I don't know if I would organize my BUs along those lines. Besides, what if you don't work with a particular vendor anymore; does that BU go away? (Hopefully not. :] )

Given that you can do reporting off of the Sales Territory via other methods, I advise setting up your BUs along business functions. Where they are, where the client is, which product they are selling...all of that is different that what they do.

MyCompany

_______________________|____________________

|                                            |                                        |

Sales                                  Marketing                              Service

______|______                                                       __________|_______________

|                         |                                                     |                        |                         |

Outbound Sales     Inbound Sales                                   Software             Hardware             Help Desk

Friday, February 7, 2014 2:46 AM