MSDNAA Key - 0xC004C008 Error RRS feed

• Question

• As part of my college education, I had access to the school's MSDNAA store which provided me with several Windows 7 Professional keys for academic use.

Two of my keys, activated once or twice in the past few years, could not be activated over the Internet anymore, giving a 0xC004C008 error. I checked it up and it indicate the key have been activated too many times. I managed to activate over the phone, but I would like to seek clarification on the type of key issued by the MSDNAA store. Is it a MAK, KLM or retail key? How many times exactly can it be activated? One source said its 10 Internet activation per key but this 2 keys were used once or twice only.

Windows Validation Data--> (Taken before phone activation)

Validation Code: 0
    Cached Online Validation Code: 0x0
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-*****-*****-KWWM7
    Windows Product Key Hash: 8EDTHctBrWr8CT6lJVsygbGvCtg=
    Windows Product ID: 00371-838-2582362-85534
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 6.1.7601.2.00010100.1.0.048
    ID: {81DC37B3-069C-4EE5-BA41-092F90F3D9CA}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    LegitcheckControl ActiveX: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows 7 Professional
    Architecture: 0x00000009
    Build lab: 7601.win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144
    TTS Error: 
    Validation Diagnostic: 
    Resolution Status: N/A

Licensing Data-->
    Software licensing service version: 6.1.7601.17514

Name: Windows(R) 7, Professional edition
    Description: Windows Operating System - Windows(R) 7, RETAIL channel
    Activation ID: e838d943-63ed-4a0b-9fb1-47152908acc9
    Application ID: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f
    Extended PID: 00371-00170-838-258236-00-1033-7601.0000-2402014
    Installation ID: 011430921792002356158790444301239302942315338944973283
    Processor Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88338
    Machine Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88339
    Use License URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88341
    Product Key Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=88340
    Partial Product Key: KWWM7
    License Status: Initial grace period
    Time remaining: 41220 minute(s) (28 day(s))
    Remaining Windows rearm count: 3
    Trusted time: 8/28/2014 2:53:42 AM

Windows Activation Technologies-->
    HrOffline: 0x00000000
    HrOnline: 0x00000000
    HealthStatus: 0x0000000000000000
    Event Time Stamp: 8:26:2014 22:10
    ActiveX: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    Admin Service: Registered, Version: 7.1.7600.16395
    HealthStatus Bitmask Output:

Thursday, August 28, 2014 8:31 AM

Answers

• This Key appears to be a Retail Key - but with some small wrinkles ;)

Most Retail Keys show the last 5 groups of characters in the report, while yours shows only one (which is the normal state for Volume Keys)

The number of activations per MSDNAA Key is not set in stone - and also depends on the number of different computers it's activated on. You would need to read the license details from the MSDNAA portal for exact details (which also change from time to time)

The normal Retail Key will allow up to 5 activations on the same hardware before requiring telephone activation to confirm it's not being abused. It will require telephone activation when being activated on significantly different hardware. Telephone activation resets the counter.

The MSDNAA Key rules changed significantly a couple of years back - I believe from 10 activations (on any hardware) down to something like 5 activations in total on two hardware configurations. This was to reduce the number of Keys being sold on eBay. Telephone activations are required on subsequent activations

The report shows the install as NOT being activated - it's merely in the Grace Period during which it acts as if it were.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Thursday, August 28, 2014 10:59 AM

All replies

• This Key appears to be a Retail Key - but with some small wrinkles ;)

Most Retail Keys show the last 5 groups of characters in the report, while yours shows only one (which is the normal state for Volume Keys)

The number of activations per MSDNAA Key is not set in stone - and also depends on the number of different computers it's activated on. You would need to read the license details from the MSDNAA portal for exact details (which also change from time to time)

The normal Retail Key will allow up to 5 activations on the same hardware before requiring telephone activation to confirm it's not being abused. It will require telephone activation when being activated on significantly different hardware. Telephone activation resets the counter.

The MSDNAA Key rules changed significantly a couple of years back - I believe from 10 activations (on any hardware) down to something like 5 activations in total on two hardware configurations. This was to reduce the number of Keys being sold on eBay. Telephone activations are required on subsequent activations

The report shows the install as NOT being activated - it's merely in the Grace Period during which it acts as if it were.

Thursday, August 28, 2014 10:59 AM
  • Hi, thanks for your information. Actually, I censored the middle and second last group of characters of the product key haha..a little paranoid on key privacy i guess.

Im surprised it is a Retail key. Do you know if MSDN key is also a Retail one?

• Edited by Johnson111 Thursday, August 28, 2014 5:05 PM
    Thursday, August 28, 2014 5:04 PM
  • 'Full' MSDN Keys are by design identical to normal Retail Keys - The only way I know of to tell the difference is the CID ( the second group in the Product ID).

It's my belief - not based in any demonstrable fact - that MSDNAA Keys and MSDN Keys have the  same rules - but that these rules may differ according to the time at which they were issued.

Certainly ALL MSDN Keys ( for products where that option is normally available) are Retail - it seems that the activation servers are primed differently for such Keys, rather than there being something on the disk itself. I very recently activated an MSDN Key from an account that I had 7 years ago with no problem.

Paranoia is good - and prevents a lot of problems. However, the MGADiag tool was specifically written for public consumption, and we always request that the output is posted without alteration. MS screwed the pooch a year or so ago, when they blocked http links in posts in these forums from 'new' members. They haven't re-written the tool since soon after the WAT Update was released in Feb 2010, with the result that potentially a lot of people are deterred from post because of the error messages produced when posting raw reports. The problem is exacerbated by two factors.

1) MS have effectively withdrawn all support/supervision from an authorative  source in these forums

2) MS doesn't train anyone below 3rd level support in the reading of MGADiag reports

The result is that for the past couple of years, I've been effectively the only source of 'fixes' for Windows Activation problems for Vista and Windows 7.every now and then, the fun-factor wears thin.  :(  (let's face it, some people actually get paid large bucks to provide this kind of support!)

</winge>

Succinct answer to your final question - Yes, most MSDN Keys are Retail.

Exceptions: Products released only for the OEM market (e.g. Windows Starter) or the Volume market (e.g. Windows Enterprise).

All the above is subject to MS rules/EULA/SLT/whim ;)

Thursday, August 28, 2014 9:15 PM