Activation problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have an OEM copy of Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64Bit for my computer which i have installed with no issues.

I validated the copy of windows (however it was before the 30th if this is an issue?)

And inside of a day the system had decided it had a hardware change and de-activated itself. and would need re-activating within 3 days.

So i tried to re-activate from within windows, and obviously it wouldn't let me i called up the given toll free number and got it re-activated.

This cycle is repeating within a day of the system being activated every time i call up to get it done. which has been done i believe 4 or 5 times now i can't remember for certain.

i tried the validation thing on the WGA site that is linked to and it works fine. but the system panel in control panel still says it needs to be activated within 3 days and i get the balloon message also stating this on occasion.

No hardware changes have been made to the system at any time in between activation and de-activations.

i note that a patch was released to address this issue? but even after installing that, and re-activating this-morning i still got a de-activation message thisevening tell me it needs activating again.

any help would be great as i really don't want to have to keep calling up every 3 days just to keep my OS happy

thanks

Mark

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 11:44 PM

Answers

All replies

• Are you using a Silicon Images raid system?

-phil

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 11:49 PM
  • yes i am indeed

Asus A8N Sli Premium motherboard using the Silicon sata ports for a RAID 0 array

could this be causing the problem?

Tuesday, January 30, 2007 11:50 PM
  • Subodai:

Yep. SI (Silicon Images) has a few compatibility issues with their 3114r5 drivers.

I would suggest contacting them for their updated drivers (currently in beta, but should be released very shortly) here:

http://www.siliconimage.comhttp://www.siliconimage.com/docs/3114 x86 r5 15130_beta.zip

http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/3114 x64 r5 15130_beta.zip

-phil

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 1:36 AM
  • i see, thankyou for your help.
    how would i go about updating the drivers? or are these for use on the usb stick upon windows installation?
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007 9:24 AM
  • should i re-install windows on a none raid-0 setup using the nforce sata controller instead?
    or is there a way to use the beta drivers from within the already installed setup?
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007 2:09 PM
  • Ahhhhh!!!  I spent 4 hours on the phone yesterday with various tech support at microsoft regarding this. One conversation alone lasted 3 hours, with the same person trying diffrent things to resolve the problem.

They are calling me back tonight to continue the investigation. So at least I now know whats happening. I have the same issue, with the same RAID controller (I have a nForce4 SLI mother board using AMD processor, same model as above....)

Ive lost count how many times they tried to reactivate me over the phone, 6 or 7 times I think.

Although I am using the 32 bit edition, not the 64bit.

Is there any KB article about this that I can point out to the microsoft tech thats going to call me later.

Is there any techincal info regarding the actual problem so I can understand the cause myself.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 6:51 PM
  • Bobbie:

We're working with SI to understand the issue - but its definitely a hardware conflict causing a misread of the Activation engine. A KB article is only published after we fully understand the issue.

-phil

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 6:54 PM
  •  Subodai wrote:
    i see, thankyou for your help.
    how would i go about updating the drivers? or are these for use on the usb stick upon windows installation?

Subo:

I'm not sure. I would refer to the Silicon Images installation manual for this information.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 6:54 PM
  • i've just done a full removal and re-install using the new 64 bit beta driver that you pointed me to i'll activate it and let you know how i get on
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007 7:04 PM
  • if this problem persists by the way will i eventually run out of activations?

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 10:33 PM
  • Subodai:

No, you won't - but if the issue is not resolved, let me know asap!

-phil

Wednesday, January 31, 2007 11:06 PM
  • For me, so far it "seems" to have worked. Although I guess that only time will truly tell.

Yesterday, after each reboot, it would state that I had 3 days to activate. At the moment, after calling the toll free number to reactivate my windows, it seems to be working.

I will follow up tomorrow also to see if its "Still" working or not.

Thursday, February 1, 2007 2:32 AM
  • So far so good. Ive rebooted multiple times, which I was not able to do without being asked to activate again, so Im very happy tonight.

Ive done various things to keep the hard drive busy doing "something", just to see if the activity produces anything, and again, its working still.

Now Im finishing for the night (time for bed) so lets see what tomorrow brings. But right now, you have two thumbs up from me

Thursday, February 1, 2007 4:10 AM
  • why did you quote me?

anyway I seem to also be fixed for the time being, it hasn't deactivated since i called lastnight and it would have by now normally so hopefully it's fixed

thanks for the help phil VERY much apreciated, hopefully it stays activated now

thanks again

Mark

Thursday, February 1, 2007 10:48 AM
  • Following up on yesterday... The driver does in deed solve my problem. No other issues have appeared since I had tried the driver. Since today is now day two, with still no problems after doing various hard disk related activitys, and rebooting. I am now satified with the results, and no longer need to worry about the problem.

Thank you for your assistance.....

Friday, February 2, 2007 12:36 AM
  •  Phil Liu MSFT wrote:

Subodai:

Yep. SI (Silicon Images) has a few compatibility issues with their 3114r5 drivers.

I would suggest contacting them for their updated drivers (currently in beta, but should be released very shortly) here:

http://www.siliconimage.comhttp://www.siliconimage.com/docs/3114 x86 r5 15130_beta.zip

http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/3114 x64 r5 15130_beta.zip

-phil

Thanks Phil,

I downloaded those drivers, reactivated and the 3 day grace period reactivation has gone. I'm running on the Asus A8N-SLI Series motherboard, so if you use one of those motherboards definitely try those drivers. Quick, Easy, no reinstall required. saved me hours of hitting my pc with a hammer.

Ketias
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 8:04 PM
  • Hi I hope i'm posting in the right thread.. I have a problem activating Windows, I have Upgraded a few components on my machine and now it says it wants a product key. Can anyone provide some sort of help? Thanks in advance.
    Sunday, April 27, 2008 1:36 PM