Cannot upgrade connector software after PP2 install RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone else having a problem with upgrading the connector software after PP2 was installed?

It says "A connection with the server could not be established" I can get to the WHS through the console with no problems.

Running Vista Ultimate x64.

Thanks,

JefferyS
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 12:34 AM

Answers

• Found out the problem. Firewall. I know I had turned it off before while trying to solve this problem so don't know why it didn't work.

I have the AVG firewall and by default it blocks System (I believe they are referring to the Kernel PID 4) even for the safe network. Saw that is was blocking out going traffic for system at remote port 55000 (can't remember maybe 59000) of the WHS. This is the port you can go to in a browser to download the connector software manually.

Didn't have this problem last time I upgraded the connector software so not sure why it did this time.

Thanks for the help,

JefferyS
    • Marked as answer by JefferyS Friday, March 27, 2009 9:04 PM
    Friday, March 27, 2009 9:03 PM

All replies

• JefferyS said:

Anyone else having a problem with upgrading the connector software after PP2 was installed?

It says "A connection with the server could not be established" I can get to the WHS through the console with no problems.

Running Vista Ultimate x64.

Thanks,

JefferyS

Can you manually install the Connector software from the \\server\software\home server connector software folder?  How are you trying to upgrade?  Can you ping the server both by name and by IP address?
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:02 AM
  • Found out the problem. Firewall. I know I had turned it off before while trying to solve this problem so don't know why it didn't work.

I have the AVG firewall and by default it blocks System (I believe they are referring to the Kernel PID 4) even for the safe network. Saw that is was blocking out going traffic for system at remote port 55000 (can't remember maybe 59000) of the WHS. This is the port you can go to in a browser to download the connector software manually.

Didn't have this problem last time I upgraded the connector software so not sure why it did this time.

Thanks for the help,

JefferyS
    • Marked as answer by JefferyS Friday, March 27, 2009 9:04 PM
    Friday, March 27, 2009 9:03 PM