Need help with restoring a backup RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to restore a backup and am having problems. The recovery is hanging up as it tries to start.

Some details:
    1. My recovery disk is the latest version (downloaded last night from Microsoft).
    2. My server software is up to date with all patches / etc.  
    3. The disk boots OK in the dead machine, and successfully locates the server.  
    4. I can put my password in successfully, and I get a list of machines to recover.  
    5. I can select the machine I want, and can then see the backups.
    6. When I choose a backup, then select "next" I get an hourglass.  It does not go away.  I've had it now for 12 hours, so I'm assuming the recovery process waiting on something.  I also tried several times yesterday with the same results.  The machine responds to cursor movements, and it responds to the "cancel" box, but no restore seems to be happening.
    If I do not cancel, what should be happening once a select a backup?  Should I see any other screens?  How long should it be before I see some kind of response, and what is the response?

The other machines can see the server, and can connect to it.  The server is responding normally to the remote machines, and from it's own console, so it's not dead.

Is there a way to get more detailed status info from the recovery disk?  Some way to do diagnostics?

Thanks in advance,

gk
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 6:28 PM

Answers

• It could be a driver incompatibility of some sort. You may want to try opening a backup from that laptop on another computer, then copying the folder "C:\Windows Home Server Drivers For Restore" from that backup to a USB flash drive. Then at the appropriate point in the restore, supply those drivers to the restore CD.

As a practical matter, though, you may find it easier to connect the drive from the laptop to some other computer on your network, then run 

%ProgramFiles%\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe

and run the restore of the drive from there.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 7:16 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    can you open the backups on a second client? This would reduce the risk, that the backup database is hurt. Now we have still the network and the storage drivers and disk as potential reasons. So instead of using the Restore CD you could try also following, if you have a second PC:
    • detach the disk from the PC you wish to restore
    • attach it to the second PC as a secondary drive (either by connecting to an internal port or with an USB to SATA/IDE connector)
    • boot that PC up 
    • restore the disk by running ClientRestoreWizard.exe, which can be found in Program Files\Windows Home Server on the client PC. Be carefull here with the selection of the target disk to not overwrite the wrong disk with the backup from the PC, which you wish to restore!
    • After completing the restore bring the disk back to the original PC.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 7:14 PM
  • It could be a driver incompatibility of some sort. You may want to try opening a backup from that laptop on another computer, then copying the folder "C:\Windows Home Server Drivers For Restore" from that backup to a USB flash drive. Then at the appropriate point in the restore, supply those drivers to the restore CD.

As a practical matter, though, you may find it easier to connect the drive from the laptop to some other computer on your network, then run 

%ProgramFiles%\Windows Home Server\ClientRestoreWizard.exe

and run the restore of the drive from there.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 11, 2008 7:16 PM